Not getting proper CC reading from R-0600 reagent?

Mar 23, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hi folks,

I've using the TFP method for years with great success, except for times when the water gets too warm (88 degrees) and i miss a couple days without adding chlorine or brushing.

But my problem now is, I cannot seem to get a reading on CCs.
I test the water by adding my R-0870 powder - 10ml turns pink with one scoop.
I add my R-0871 until it's clear - usually 10-14 drops. (CYA at 40 usually)
Then i add the R-0600 reagent to see if i have any CC.
It's always crystal clear. It never turns pink (unless i let it sit for a minute or 2)
I thought i had a defective batch so i bought another bottle.
Same thing.
But i know (i think) i must have CC's, because my pool is getting algae now!
If there is algae growing, then my free chlorine must be attacking it, and thus get partially used up, and be lower than TC, right?
How can my FC and TC both read exactly the same when clearly there is algae eating up my chlorine?
I can't get a reliable overnight reading, since the R-0600 is not showing proper CCs.

In the meantime, I've decided to try a slam this week, basically blindfolded.
It's slamming now, and ive scrubbed everywhere, soaked skimmer parts in chlorine, backwashed, everything out of the pool.
Will likely slam until Friday and hopefully have a crystal clear swim Saturday.
Yesterdays it was a little murky, not bad, but not my usual sparkling clear pool.

Either i'm really missing something, or could i have got bad R600 twice in a row? Exp date is next year.

Has anybody had this issue?
My powder and R0871 are not old either.
I'm open to suggestions folks.

Thanks,
Dan

The correct reagent is R-0003.

Yeah, i realized i put 0600 after it was too late, but i meant *and use* the correct R-0003.

Hmmmm.... so... my water was clear, FC *& other chem levels were good, CCs were under .5, and i brush/backwash regularly.
So how did algae start?

For some reason i was under the impression that if I had algae it would register in the form of CCs. So without doing an overnight test, how would you know a problem is brewing until it's too late? How often are you folks doing overnight test?

OK.... slamming already begun, but unfortunately it drops below my required level while i'm at work. Added some pucks, and overdose it before i leave, but it's dropping from around 23 down to 13... I need to slam at 18.
Wondering if i should put my cover on while im at work?

Thanks for replies, at least it explains my confuzzlement.
Cheers!
Dan

So without doing an overnight test, how would you know a problem is brewing until it's too late? How often are you folks doing overnight test?
Once you learn your pool water characteristics, you can look at the water and know there is an issue. Cloudy, SLAM. Dull, high pH.

I have done two OCLT's in six years.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I've using the TFP method for years with great success, except for times when the water gets too warm (88 degrees) and i miss a couple days without adding chlorine or brushing.

So how did algae start?

the pool & sun will eat 2-4 ppm fc a day.
If its 4 that day & you had 6ppm to begin with you’re below minimum for your cya of 40. This can happen easily if u miss a day of dosing & have full summer sun.
Its the reason most here aim for a dab higher than the highest target for their cya.
To have some cushion.

Yeah, i realized i put 0600 after it was too late, but i meant *and use* the correct R-0003.

Hmmmm.... so... my water was clear, FC *& other chem levels were good, CCs were under .5, and i brush/backwash regularly.
So how did algae start?

For some reason i was under the impression that if I had algae it would register in the form of CCs. So without doing an overnight test, how would you know a problem is brewing until it's too late? How often are you folks doing overnight test?

OK.... slamming already begun, but unfortunately it drops below my required level while i'm at work. Added some pucks, and overdose it before i leave, but it's dropping from around 23 down to 13... I need to slam at 18.
Wondering if i should put my cover on while im at work?

Thanks for replies, at least it explains my confuzzlement.
Cheers!
Dan

A cover would probably reduce your chlorine loss while you're at work.

Its the reason most here aim for a dab higher than the highest target for their cya.
To have some cushion.

I do usually keep it at the top end... push it a tad further you say?
The rebel in me approves.
It cleared the overnight test this morning, but only from 9pm to 3am due to my work hours.
Gonna keep slamming and give it a longer test on Saturday.
Thanks folks!
Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.