Not a pool construction question... but... need help on choosing between apples to apples quotes for other work

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
We're getting some tree work done, and the two companies in the running have almost identical quotes, great reputations, both have done work for satisfied neighbors, etc., etc.
I really hate to just flip a coin, but it's very apples to apples, and they both have the same barrel! Even the scheduling (which was the decision factor when we got our fence) is the same!
Have you been in this situation?
Hubby just smiles and says "that's why you get to make these decisions...."
Grrrr

In those situations I go with my gut & who I liked as a person
That's part of the problem! Both were very personable and professional, and I would trust them equally. I ended up sending them both an identical text, saying that they were both great, and to give me their bottom line price, if they hadn't already done so. Murphy's law says that they'll come back with the same number! But we'll see.

Sometimes flip a coin is as good as anyway to make a decision. You eliminate the bad choices then don't worry.

Reactions: clambert1273
I have also used a weighted matrix before to decide things I have a hard time (it's ingrained in me since I am a project manager by trade lol)

Some possible decision making factors:

- Are they both licensed? Bonded?

- Which of the two carry better liability and workman's comp insurance, if any. Contractors sometimes skip these necessities to be competitive. Consumers rarely ask about this of contractors, but always wish they had when things go wrong. Tree trimming is dangerous work.

- Did either offer you a contract? Or just a verbal bid? Did they mention cleanup? Contractors that pride themselves on how well they leave a job site will mention it, or write it into their contract.

- Do either tout arborist qualifications/certifications? Not sure exactly what that's called, but there are guys that know how to climb a tree and hack away at it, and others who are certified and educated about the craft of pruning a tree. It can make a big difference in how the tree recovers and what it will eventually look like.

- Did you look at and compare the results of the neighbors that used these guys? How do their trees look?

Just a few things that popped into my head...

Last edited:
Sometimes flip a coin is as good as anyway to make a decision. You eliminate the bad choices then don't worry.
That's true - we eliminated the "less good" folks already. In this economy, I just feel bad not giving the equally great small business our business, but that happens sometimes.

Some possible decision making factors:

- Are they both licensed? Bonded?

- Which of the two carry better liability and workman's comp insurance, if any. Contractors sometimes skip these necessities to be competitive. Consumers rarely ask about this of contractors, but always wish they did when things go wrong.

- Do either tout arborist qualifications/certifications? Not sure exactly what that's called, but there are guys that know how to climb a tree and hack away at it, and others who are certified and educated about the craft of pruning a tree. It can make a big difference in how the tree recovers and what it will eventually look like.

- Did either offer you a contract? Or just a verbal bid? Did they mention cleanup? Contractors that pride themselves on how well they leave a job site will mention it, or write it into their contract.

Just a few things that popped into my head...
Yes - both have provided their insurance and workman's comp info, excellent reviews, quotes include cleanup, etc. We have written bids from both. @clambert1273 I also work with government program management organizations, and part of my job is providing unbiased technical assessments of proposals. While I haven't done a written matrix, I've gone back to both vendors to get clarification on potentially differentiating aspects. Which led to my conundrum. This is seriously the first time I've ever had two vendors so close on anything in 35 years.

Sounds like you've done your homework. Flipping a coin is no fun. I'd go with potato sack race. Or maybe hotdog eating contest. Something scientific... 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.