North Texas (Little Elm) - Piers

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
We are currently working on a few bids.
The PB we are wanting to go with is telling me (we have not sat down for any negotiation or anything yet), that piers with them run 800 a piece.

Anyone know, how many piers are usually needed (if my engineer says I will need them).

You can see from the pic, the fence behind the house, there is a 4 foot retaining wall there. Engineer says he does not know if we will need piers until they start digging so he can inspect what the developer put on the lot.

In any case, I am looking for answers on what the average price of piers are in North Texas, and how many do you actually need? The inner diameter of the pool is 97' I believe. SqFt is 479.

pool.jpg

Hey, welcome to TFP!

We have lots of members from that area, and I'm sure with a bump to the top somebody there will catch it and weigh in. Looks like it will be a really nice pool, so good luck on your project!

My PB has been building pools in DFW for 30+ and was adamant about not using piers when I asked about them. He has seen pools ripped right off the piers when the soil expands. If you really think you need piers then I would pay a soil engineer to do the work ahead of time to make sure you are doing the right thing for your soil conditions.

Our pool has had 3 cracks over 5 years, one leaked, all were fixed by the PB using pool putty which cures underwater. The crack that leaked was fixed in spring 2013 and it hasn't leaked since. We installed a micro irrigation system around the pool to maintain even soil moisture during drought and especially during dry winters. Keeping the soil moist has made a big difference in the pool movement.

My PB has been building pools in DFW for 30+ and was adamant about not using piers when I asked about them. He has seen pools ripped right off the piers when the soil expands. If you really think you need piers then I would pay a soil engineer to do the work ahead of time to make sure you are doing the right thing for your soil conditions.

Our pool has had 3 cracks over 5 years, one leaked, all were fixed by the PB using pool putty which cures underwater. The crack that leaked was fixed in spring 2013 and it hasn't leaked since. We installed a micro irrigation system around the pool to maintain even soil moisture during drought and especially during dry winters. Keeping the soil moist has made a big difference in the pool movement.

I met my neighbor yesterday who had a pool built. The retaining wall is higher by him, 5 foot.
He did not get piers, nor did they do soil injections.
I even offered to use an auger to drill down in the yard so he can come and review it. He said that would not work, I would need to hire a drill company to come out and drill 20ft down?
I got another quote from another PG, who I think they were doing a little thicker steel, soil injections, etc. I mentioned piers, and they said not needed, as they work with the same engineer I am working with now, and what they proposed is his usual recommendation.
The engineer did mention exactly what you said, the irrigation system with a moisture sensor to stop the ground from moving.
So I may just go with that considering everyone else on a retaining wall in my neighborhood did not get piers....except for the guy who has the retaining wall on the side and back, and it is 12 foot. That I understand.

The big concern is blowing out the retaining wall, but I think if the wall if 4ft, and we dig so the pool is 5ft, basically lower than the wall, then the weight should be lower?

Kind of off topic, does home owners insurance cover something like a retaining wall blowing out :)

Had another PB come out. Same thing I have heard from another neighbor who had his done, digging below the wall, so the pool actually sits lower than the retaining wall.
Think we are going that route, plus installing a good system around the pool for moisture (sprinklers, etc) and monitoring that.

And yes @Analogbytes, wife is checking on the umbrella policy :)

We installed a Mister system from Lowes with a hose end timer. It is easy to DIY, update, repair and adjust. We have 3 different sets of them around the property. They've been good for about 4 years so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.