Normal frequency of adding water to the pool?

ZESTR

Oct 2, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
This is our 3rd summer as pool owners-- went trouble free the 2nd summer.

We had to replace our pool motor in April 2016-- it just died one day. (Took to pinch a penny, they tested it-- gave us a replacement motor and told us how to install-- we did, seems to have been working just fine).

Since that time-- we suddenly seem to have to fill the pool WAY more often. And the CYA seems to steadily drop. It is VERY hot here, so I get that we will have evaporation, but I never remember filling it this often. At least 2x a week we have to put the hose in for 45- 60 minutes. Is this normal? So-- approx 2 inches a week. (Plus we do get rain at least 2-3 days a week, though the amount varies widely).

We followed TFP Leak Detection guide... we cannot seem to find any leaks visibly, or in the pool. Used food dye in the water to see if it was pulled nowhere, did the bucket on the step test-- normal... I suppose there could be one in the pipe that runs from the skimmer to the unit, but it's under a concrete patio. Our bottom drain is sealed off and not in operation. (Bought the house like that)

My main questions: Is this amount of eval normal? Isn't it abnormal to have to replace CYA every month? How can we tell if it is a leak under the concrete from skimmer to unit? Also-- should we try taking the motor off and getting a new one (it is under warranty for like 2 more weeks).

THANK YOU!

Let me take one of those questions.

Normal evaporation in Jacksonville, FL should be around 1/4 " (maybe less)....even in the summer. If you are losing much more than that, you have a leak.

Also your CYA will not drop due to evaporation only drained or splashed out water causes that. I highly doubt the pump is the problem, if it were you would see water around it and the equipment pad. You may need to call a leak detection company. You can try letting it get lower see where it stops could give you an idea where to look.

As Dave said, 2" a week would be about a quarter inch a day, so normal. Mine drops more but I heat it to 88, don't use a cover, and am in Michigan where night temps drop ;)

Have you done a bucket test? Fill a 5 gal bucket with pool water and record drop in tandem with pool water level. If the pool drops more than the bucket, then a leak is suspected.

How much are you taking in terms of cya loss per month?

Yes, I did the bucket test.

Lastnight, at 10pm, my husband put a piece of tape at water level in the deep end. Today at 11am, it is almost 1/2" below that tape line. :(

I am panicking a bit... I have no idea how much a leak detection + fix will cost, but we live paycheck to paycheck and usually fix all pool things ourselves... but I know we have no option... my gut says it's the underground pipe, under the patio, but who knows. How much do these things cost to fix? Or just to even have a guy come out?

Thank you...

CYA dropping by 10 a week it seems. I was at 50 last month and am now at 20ish.

That level of cya loss would be difficult to attribute to anything other than a leak, I'm afraid. So sorry!

Next test for a DIY might be to seek how low it will go in order to see if there's a liner leak, light leak or skimmer leak.

Okay-- we got a guy out here -- and if you're in Jax, Fl this guy was awesome-- Nick at 904-655-3980-- and he scuba'd all around the pool and found it was our first two steps that had hairline cracks. He patched them for now and to be safe we are just not using the steps. He said it should hold for awhile. It's been 2 weeks and it's holding water normally again, phew.

As to the CYA dropping, folks in FL get so much rain that they often are pumping water out of their pools. You're having to add water frequently, and folks with autofil devices sometimes only realize they've lost and replaced water when their test results show change. I wouldn't worry too much about CYA lowering. It just seems to be an isolated Florida occurance... one folks in California *wish* they had!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.