normal filter pressure

tkutch

May 2, 2010
My question is what is normal pressure for my filter? I just had a new pool put in and my filter stays between 5-10 psi. My builder says its low but didnt say anymore. I dont know if this is good or bad. My pool is 18000 gallons, with 2 skimmers and 2 floor drains, my pump is the vs-3050 with the large pentair filter.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
There is no "normal" pressure, every pool is different. Remember that with a variable speed pump the filter pressure will vary with the pump speed. Lower pump speeds mean lower filter pressure.

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
What speed is the pump running at? Where the preset speeds changed? Sounds like you are running on a relatively low speed, say about 1700 rpm. At 2300, I would expect about 16 PSI.

Scott

tkutch

May 2, 2010
I think the highest is 1900 or something like that. I know I will have different pressures for each setting. I was just worried since he said it was low and I have noticed a lot of dirt and rock build up in the skimmer (but its a brand new pool...3 weeks old). Not much has been in the pump filter though

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
tkutch said:
My question is what is normal pressure for my filter?
You may as well ask, "What is the normal weight for a woman?" :lol:

Answer: every one is uniquely different. If its flowing good and filtering effectively, it's working, and that's just your normal pressure.

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Richard320 said:
tkutch said:
My question is what is normal pressure for my filter?
You may as well ask, "What is the normal weight for a woman?" :lol:

Answer: every one is uniquely different. If its flowing good and filtering effectively, it's working, and that's just your normal pressure.

Are you sure you want to go there? :shock: :lol:

Other Threads of Interest