NOOB - First Post Question

Jul 1, 2010
Pittstown, NJ
You folks probably get tired of answering the dumb questions first time users ask. I'll ask anyway and hope for an answer!

I have an inground plaster pool, 17,000 gallons. It's not new as I've had it for twenty years but am starting over again. It was a black Gunnite job to begin and was refinished with black Gunnite several years ago. (Hint: NEVER go for black Gunnite, but that is another story!). Last year I bit the bullet and painted the pool with a couple of coats of Epoxy EHB sky blue paint. This season I opened, power-washed, touched up the paint where tape had pulled off and now waiting for the truck to deliver fresh water. I ordered the TF-100 kit and magnetic stirrer last night after reading so much on the forum that my eyes are getting bloody. Great advice on here!

I have always used the packaged granular chlorine before but, if I understand correctly, I should and will be using liquid chlorine going forward.

What is the proper sequence for adding chlorine and other 'stuff' to bring the virgin water into spec? Of course, I don't have the kit yet so can't provide any specifics on the new water. I guess i could bring a sample to the pool store but am concerned about the validity of their testing based on my forum reading. Can I just add liquid chlorine for now and hold off on anything else until I get the kit? If so, how much should I add for a 17000 gallon pool that never had chlorine before? Would I be better off just running the filter and not adding chlorine until my kit arrives?

Apologies for the idiot questions - I want to be sure to do it right before I plunge in!

Many thanks,
Jack

Welcome to TFP!

No, we don't tire of the questions. It keeps us sharp. :)

First off, using a powder or stabilized chlorine source isn't always wrong. You just need to understand that these add other things to your pool than just chlorine. Dichlor adds stabilizer (CYA). Too much CYA and you have problems. Cal-hypo adds calcium which, in too high levels, can cause scaling. We like bleach because it only adds water, salt, and chlorine. If you go with just bleach, you will need to manually add CYA as well.

Have you started reading Pool School yet? There is a button on the top right side of every page here to take you there.

I would also go the the Pool Calculator (link in my sig line), bookmark it, and get familiar with how to use it. When you get the pool filled, check the pH and correct it if needed. Then, I would go ahead and get the pump running and add enough CYA to get you to 30 and then enough bleach to get you to 4 or 5 on your FC. This will work for starters.

Thanks for the unbelievably fast reply!

Yep - I started to read Pool School and will continue to read more today. I have the calculator bookmarked; looks like a super-handy tool.

If I understand, I can hold off for a few days (I hope the kit arrives Tuesday) before doing anything, Then get the ph balanced, then chlorine goes in. Should I run the filter in the meanwhile just to keep the water moving?

Non-related: .257 Weatherby Mag? Big time cartridge! That will stop most anything up to an elk, but can destroy a lot of meat too. It's amazing to me how much you find in common with others on these forums!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would suggest you add 1 large jug of Clorox each evening until your kit arrives. That'll raise your FC by about 5ppm and offer you the protection you need while your adding the other things.

Simultaneously, add enough CYA to get to 30ppm or so as 257 previously suggested.

By doing those two thing (now), you will have nice crystal clear water (you can swim if you like) and be prepared to make your other adjustments when the kit gets in.

Post your first test results when you get them and everyone here will offer pleanty of help.

You guys are the best - thanks Dave!

I'm headed to WallyWorld now to get some Clorox. Of course, I can't measure the CYA yet so probably shouldn't just guess.

Hopefully the USPS won't delay my kit from you too long because of the holiday weekend.

daedalus said:
You guys are the best - thanks Dave!

I'm headed to WallyWorld now to get some Clorox. Of course, I can't measure the CYA yet so probably shouldn't just guess.
While you are there, you can buy enough CYA to raise your pool to appx 50. The CYA in your new water will be zero.

Hopefully the USPS won't delay my kit from you too long because of the holiday weekend.

Actually, I think the Wallyworld CYA comes in 3 lb containers. Two containers (close to 100% CYA) will increase your CYA level to about 40. When you do your first CYA add, you should probably shoot for 30ish.

Just to be clear, CYA is not common in water - it is only there IF we add it. So, your new water is starting with zero CYA.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day two:
1.4 gallons bleach added last night, another 1.4 gallons this evening (sun off of the pool). I will add one gallon each tomorrow and Monday evening.

Two pounds of CYA started this afternoon. Just started the second two pounds. Whoever came up with the idea of dispersing solids by placing them in a sock in front of the return should get a Nobel prize - sheer genius!

Two day old pool water is clear, bright and shiny. Can't wait for the test kit to arrive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.