Non-OEM Replacement Filters

yossarian

Jun 8, 2011
Ridgefield, CT
Is there a reason to get only OEM replacement cartridges? I purchased non-Jandy cartridges last year (manufactured by Pleatco). They seem to get "dirty" faster and result in quicker increases in psi. I found that my old Unicel cartridges could take a greater beating than the Pleatco ones while keeping the pressure in the preferred range. In addition, it seems like they did a slightly better job of catching the small junk that often goes through the filter and shoots back out the returns when I am running with the Pleatco cartridges. I have noticed that the Unicel cartridges feel more substantial. They are heavier. And the center is bi-sected, whereas the center of the Pleatco cartridges are completely hollow.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
There's nothing wrong using non-oem filters as long as you're satisfied with the performance. Different mfgs us different materials, different weaves & different manufacturing designs. Not saying they're bad, just different.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
This is second hand, but I have heard of reports that Pleatco sells inferior cartridges made of thinner material that don't last as long. However, Unicel & Filbur are viewed as equal to an OEM cartridge.