No weir door...

Thormus

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Meridian/ID
I broke a skimmer basket while cleaning it recently and I was looking into the validity of the skim-a-round. Then while looking at these forums I realized people were talking about weir doors (never heard of that before). No wonder my skimmers don't do anything. I have no weir doors. I can't wait to get home and figure out which ones I need. This whole time I thought I didn't have a powerful enough pump or something. I have so much to learn. 2 years of pool ownership and I just realized this. Wonder what else I'm not seeing.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
It’s one of those non-obvious, highly critical things .... no weir door = no skimming action. They should really write that somewhere on the plastic cover ....

Easy enough to replace. Just grab your skimmer make and model and the folks over at INYO Pools (friends of TFP) will hook you up with a replacement and some how-to videos.

Welcome :wave:

Reactions: MyAZPool

Thormus

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Meridian/ID
It’s one of those non-obvious, highly critical things .... no weir door = no skimming action. They should really write that somewhere on the plastic cover ....

Easy enough to replace. Just grab your skimmer make and model and the folks over at INYO Pools (friends of TFP) will hook you up with a replacement and some how-to videos.

Welcome :wave:
I will call them tomorrow. In the mean time anybody able to identify my skimmers? I couldn’t find anywhere that the door was supposed to go. I also couldn’t find these skimmers on the internet.

Attachments

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
If you run out of luck, there are aftermarket weir doors that have spring loaded feet to hold them in place. Not as good as the original, but better than nothing.

Also note that some use a floating skimmer basket that acts as the weir in leu of the door.

Reactions: Thormus

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I was trying to figure out the point behind "skim-a-round"
My skimmer does just fine as is, and if I were to remove my weir the pump ends up sucking air after a short time. I suspect it would do the same with skim-a-round.

Fuldo

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2017
Port Orange, FL
This appears to be a Pentair/Swimquip/Sta-Rite model U-3 skimmer. Supposedly one of the most common skimmers ever made and mostly used on gunite pools. I bought a house in Florida years ago and the pool had a missing weir. Neither the person I hired to refurbish the pool or the pool care person I had for a few years ever mentioned it missing. I found it when investigating why the skimmer didn't work so well. These are very common and can be found at many pool suppliers with prices all over the place.

Thormus

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Meridian/ID
Thank you all for your help.

I have another question. Is my main drain and my skimmer supposed to be connected? Do they have to be connected? If so do I need the float?

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
Thank you all for your help.

I have another question. Is my main drain and my skimmer supposed to be connected? Do they have to be connected? If so do I need the float?
A lot of pools are plumbed that way. (Mine is) You can either use the float valve, or plug it off completely. (As mine is)

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Yes, it looks like a Sta-Rite/Pentair U3, although that basket doesn't look like the current style. These are one of the hardest to replace the weir, unfortunately, as they have a screwed in weir that's extremely difficult to access from inside the skimmer (you'll understand what I mean when you try to install it). They also don't have side holes for most aftermarket weirs.

:(

• Sad

Thormus

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Meridian/ID
Yes, it looks like a Sta-Rite/Pentair U3, although that basket doesn't look like the current style. These are one of the hardest to replace the weir, unfortunately, as they have a screwed in weir that's extremely difficult to access from inside the skimmer (you'll understand what I mean when you try to install it). They also don't have side holes for most aftermarket weirs.

:(
Welp I bought two of them from INYO. Today I am going to try and locate the screw hole(s).