No waterproofing on newly installed tile.

Kirkhammett

Mar 11, 2019
Las Vegas
First of all this forum has been a priceless source for knowledge throughout this pool building process.

We've recently installed glass waterline tile on our pool that we are owner building. It wasn't until after we had installed the tile that I learned waterproofing may have been needed. It is 2 layers of Type S and TEC Super-Flex mortar.
20200509_162435.jpg
Question is: Should I rip it all off and start over with laticrete cementious waterproofing or in 10 years replaster / retile and use waterproof at that time?

I will be using HydroBan on the raised bond beams with 254 platinum to install the natural thin stone veneer next.
20200509_162422.jpg20200509_162407.jpg

Thank you. The product is from Artistry in Mosaics and they state to use ANSI Standard A108.16 for installation. When installing I went off of the method explained to me by the supplier and a buddy who installs tile. Which it seems many people use.

Should I wait for it to fail and maybe get 5-10 years of use then replace from it or scrap it all now and start over?

Or should I be more concerned with the lack of waterproofing and effects on the gunite tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.