No test kit, what chemicals to add while waiting

T. T.

May 13, 2020
Maryland
We have a summer waves 16 x 48 pool about 5000 gallons. This is the second day of filling and it still isn't full. Tomorrow should be the final day of filling then we can turn on the filter. Our test kit should be here in the next few days but do I need to add any chemicals before the test kit arrives or are we ok waiting a few days? I have 3 clorox strips that came with the pool if those would help. I have hth pool bleach and CYA. And hopefully tomorrow we will comvert the summer waves filter to an intex sand filter and swcg.

Ok, thank you. Pool math app says to add 19 oz of 10% bleach and 1 lb. 14 oz cya based on zero free chlorine and zero cya. Sound about right? I am hoping our test kit comes tomorrow after just looking at the tracking and if it does I will post some numbers before adding. Thanks for your help!

Ok we have our test kit. I hadn't added the cya yet when it came so that is still 0

pH 6.8
Free chlorine 1.5
Chloramine 0
Calcium 175
Total alkalinity 110

We are hooking up the sand pump and salt water generator now. Should we wait until that is done and the salt is added before we adjust anything or should we start now? We have the summer waves included cartridge pump running for now.

Looks like at a minimum I need some more chlorine and the to also add the cya. Is the pH too low? How do the other numbers look? If i remember correctly, some have different targets for salt pools.

Thanks again for for help. You guys are giving me the confidence that I can get this pool thing done correctly and easily.

Get some chlorine in there now - target 3 - and get the CYA dissolving. If they gave you any starter chemicals, you could try raising pH, but if you don't have them, don't go buy any. Your kids bathe in the same water without ill effect and if they get in and splash the aeration will drive the pH up plenty fast. You can dump the salt in and let the kids swim through it like a giant snow globe. After 24 hours - and assuming the CYA is dissolved - you can turn on the SWG. Until then, add 3 FC per day via bleach.

Thank you everyone! Added chlorine yesterday and dissolved cya and salt. This morning we were at 40 cya and .5 chlorine. Added more chlorine to get to 3 fc and put in some more cya. Tested the salt at 3400 ppm. Manufacturer recommends 3000. Do we need to drain some water to adjust the salt or is this level ok?

Thank you everyone! Added chlorine yesterday and dissolved cya and salt. This morning we were at 40 cya and .5 chlorine. Added more chlorine to get to 3 fc and put in some more cya. Tested the salt at 3400 ppm. Manufacturer recommends 3000. Do we need to drain some water to adjust the salt or is this level ok?
That's good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just found the chart. So with cya at 50 we would need minimum of 4 fc since we dont have our swcg on yet. And we need cya to be at the right level (70) before turning it on ......is that right? Maybe best to wait to swim until tomorrow and add some more cya tonight. Sorry for all the questions. Don't want to do something wrong and make the process harder.

You're not a salt pool yet. Just slosh some bleach in there and let him in.

Add the CYA you still need. Is the salt in there yet? Let the boy help it disperse and dissolve. Splashing will also raise the pH a little.

What you want is to have it all dialed in perfect and then just flip the switch and let the SWG take over the chlorinating for you. A seamless transition as it were.

We put the salt in last night and this morning measured 3400. Just dissolved some more cya. Doing it little by little so we don't add too much. Also added some more bleach. That helps to know that we need everything just right before we turn on the swg. Hopefully tomorrow we can get there! Thanks again! You guys have really helped make this process much easier than i imagined!

We put the salt in last night and this morning measured 3400. Just dissolved some more cya. Doing it little by little so we don't add too much. Also added some more bleach. That helps to know that we need everything just right before we turn on the swg. Hopefully tomorrow we can get there! Thanks again! You guys have really helped make this process much easier than i imagined!
In a couple weeks pool chemistry will be so simple to you that you'll look at your post history and laugh. No exaggeration.

We made it! Just got done our first swim!

Fc 5
Cya 80
pH 7.2

We will turn on swg tonight and do another full set of tests in the morning and daily tests of fc until we get the correct run time for the swg.

Thank again! I didn't think we could do it at the beginning but with your help we made it!

Reactions: Cravi5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.