No refill/power for a few months?

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, I Own a bullfrog A8 hot tub. Needed to change the water so drained and Cleaned the tub this weekend. Was planning on refilling it but realized we use it so little in the summer, that may just make more sense to refill and power back on in September.

Perhaps a silly question, but any issue with letting it sit empty and no power for a few months?

Wasn’t sure if the lack of circulation/flow in the piping would be bad (or some other negative reason I’m not thinking about)...

Thanks!

I haven't done what you are thinking of doing, but have seen posts about others doing the same - one thing you can do is use a shop vac to blow out the lines as much as possible, that way you can hopefully keep stuff from growing in the various lines while it is sitting "empty". . . You want to get as much of the water out of all of the plumbing. I might even open one of the lowest unions by the motor and/or heater to get as much left over water out.

I think that is your only worry - if you do get funky stuff left in the lines you should do an Ahh-Some treatment when you get ready to use it again in Sept.

When I do a water exchange I pump the FC up to shock level, add some Ahh-Some, run the tub jets on high for 20 minutes, and then drain the old water out. I think if you did that you would have the best shot at a clean start when you get things going again.

Thanks. I did the shop vac today and got a lot of water out. Went behind each seat and stuck the shop vac in the water hole of each seat to get us much water down there. I got a lot but I know there’s prob a bit more in the belly of the tub.

Really contemplating if I should just fill it or just wait a month like I planned.

I’m not too worried if a bit of algae grows can just bring it up to a slam level essentially no?

My concern if not having the jet/pump running for a month or two would be bad for it on startup?

I haven't done what you are thinking of doing, but have seen posts about others doing the same - one thing you can do is use a shop vac to blow out the lines as much as possible, that way you can hopefully keep stuff from growing in the various lines while it is sitting "empty". . . You want to get as much of the water out of all of the plumbing. I might even open one of the lowest unions by the motor and/or heater to get as much left over water out.

I think that is your only worry - if you do get funky stuff left in the lines you should do an Ahh-Some treatment when you get ready to use it again in Sept.

When I do a water exchange I pump the FC up to shock level, add some Ahh-Some, run the tub jets on high for 20 minutes, and then drain the old water out. I think if you did that you would have the best shot at a clean start when you get things going again.

Check your manual (they are available online as well). My A5L has a procedure for shutdown / drain for extended non-use.

Given it is summer, there should be no risk of freezing or pump damage. Don’t leave the cover off - extended sunlight exposure will damage the acrylic tub surface.

Any left-over water will grow biofilms in it, but probably not green algae due to lack of light. Just plan on doing a fill, Ahh-some, drain, wipe-down, and refill.

The pipes, heater, and motor all will be fine sitting without water. If you have most of the water out you should be just fine.

I guess another option is to fill it up, balance the water, set the temp as low as it will go (80° on mine), and put a higher level of chlorine in - then once a week top up the chlorine...this is what I do when I go on vacation.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.