No reduction in TA after dropping pH

watkincm

Bronze Supporter
Sep 11, 2020
Pittsboro, NC
I just attempted to reduce my TA from 110 to optimal levels (around 70) using Muriatic Acid.
The pH dropped from 7.9 to 7.2 as recommended but the TA didn't budge at all!
Now I am aerating to raise pH so I can try again but don't understand why the TA did not drop - any clues, you guys?

I suspect the TA would have only dropped by about 10 ppm. See Effects Of Adding Chemicals. Testing error can be result in a small variance that might hide the first application. Do the process several times and see if the TA has dropped.

Reactions: watkincm
I suspect the TA would have only dropped by about 10 ppm. See Effects Of Adding Chemicals. Testing error can be result in a small variance that might hide the first application. Do the process several times and see if the TA has dropped.
It's worth adding, I'm new to the Taylor K-2006C test kit.
When it says "until turns to green from red - or - red to blue" - how green/blue does it need to get?

Thanks. I realized I had it the wrong way round (green-red) after I had posted it but figured you would know what I meant.:)
So my test results will be inaccurate since I counted only to the point of "no green with a hint of red". Back the the Muriatic Acid...(y)
My understanding is that you should add drops until the color stops changing and count only the drops that made a change. Hopefully that makes sense.

The speedstir will make a huge difference with the TA test. I did the same as you over 3 weeks and 4 gallons of muriatic to go from 90 to 70.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.