No pressure: Pentair, Clean and Clear Cartridge 520

DanielHobley

Apr 19, 2019
Houston, TX
Hello there,

Shot in the dark here (mostly because I am not 100% sure what I should be asking), but I noticed this evening that our new (about a month old) filter gauge is reading 0 PSI when running the pool pump at 1200 RPM. I did also notice a few bubbles at the top of the filter basket (about 3 or 4, just sort of moving in place). When installing, the PB suggested we open the valve attached to the gauge to release any air, but I tried that tonight and nothing happened -- No water, no air. It's almost as if the water isn't filling the filter tank at all.

The pressure *does* increase, to a little less than 10, when increasing the pump to around 2000 RPM, but I don't like having it that high at night because you can hear it inside our son's bedroom.

Is 1200 RPM too low for our pump/filter? Could I have a suction side leak here? Should I even be concerned? This all came about after a breakdown in our Intelliconnect system. I am having to manually turn things off/on until it's fixed and noticed the pressure gauge this evening.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

0 PSI at 1200 RPM is not a problem. Just that your water flow is so low it doesn't register on the pressure gauge. You have slow light water flow. If that is what you want its ok. Nothing is wrong or broken.

What is the daily run schdule for your pump? What RPMS for what times?

Last edited:
Reactions: DanielHobley
Daniel,

I have the same filter and pump... it is working perfectly!!!

My filter pressure is about 1 lbs at 1200 RPM, but I have replaced my gauge with one that only goes to 30 PSI.. The stock gauge goes to 60 psi and you can't see one lbs on it..

I run most of the time at 1200 RPM.. it turns on my SWCG and skims just fine. I run 24/7 and at the speed the cost is less than $20 bucks a month..

I re-read your post and you should get water out of the pressure relief valve almost instantly if you open it... What does the return water feel like going back to the pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

0 PSI at 1200 RPM is not a problem. Just that your water flow is so low it doesn't register on the pressure gauge. You have slow lightw ater flow. If that is what youw ant its ok. Nothing is wrong or broken.

What is the daily run schdule for your pump? What RPMS for what times?

Ah, gotcha. That explains why I still have decent circulation at 1200 RPM with 0 PSI. Well, that’s a relief!

I am actually in the process of trying to figure out a decent schedule and pump run time. Previously, we ran the pump from 8:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. at 1200 (we can’t hear the pump in my son’s bedroom at that speed), 1600 RPM from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and then 2000 RPM from 6:00-8:00 p.m. (when it is most used).

A few days ago, Comcast came out and worked on our line for a bit. After that, we lost connection to Intelliconnect and the mobile app. The PB came out and reset everything (including schedules), but that didn’t solve the problem. We’re doing things “manually” now until the issue is resolved (hopefully this coming Tuesday).

Daniel,

I have the same filter and pump... it is working perfectly!!!

My filter pressure is about 1 lbs at 1200 RPM, but I have replaced my gauge with one that only goes to 30 PSI.. The stock gauge goes to 60 psi and you can't see one lbs on it..

I run most of the time at 1200 RPM.. it turns on my SWCG and skims just fine. I run 24/7 and at the speed the cost is less than $20 bucks a month..

I re-read your post and you should get water out of the pressure relief valve almost instantly if you open it... What does the return water feel like going back to the pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Excellent to know! I am not nearly as worried now.

The water coming back feels fine, and I can see plenty of movement throughout the pool. I just checked the relief valve again and a tiny bit of air came out before some water.

Perhaps I was worried for nothing!

Daniel,

How are you sanitizing your pool? I ask because if you are using a 3" chlorine tablet feeder, it may or may not work well at 1200 RPM... Just a heads up..

If you are using tablets, make sure you keep an eye on your CYA level as it will not take long before the CYA will get above 100 ppm and start causing you all kinds of issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Daniel,

How are you sanitizing your pool? I ask because if you are using a 3" chlorine tablet feeder, it may or may not work well at 1200 RPM... Just a heads up..

If you are using tablets, make sure you keep an eye on your CYA level as it will not take long before the CYA will get above 100 ppm and start causing you all kinds of issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello Jim,

We have a 3" chlorine tablet feeder, but we don't use it. I add liquid chlorine as needed (and check all levels regularly using my test kit and the TFP app). Thanks for asking! :)

To get the accurate pressure, divide the height of the gauge above the pool water surface by 2.31 and add the result to the gauge reading.

For example, if the gauge is 4.62 feet above the surface of the pool water, you would add 2 psi to the gauge reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.