No more frog ponds.

Kevin Smith

Apr 24, 2019
Alabama
Hello,

I am very excited to find this site and I wanted to share what I have and am working on with my first home and first pool purchase. The first night in our new house my wife turns to me and exclaims "what the heck is that noise?" The "pool" in the backyard was unmaintained for several years and pretty had converted into a leaf filed frog and worm infested swamp. The singing frogs were so loud it was difficult to sleep. I had plenty of chores with higher priority in our new home but I eventually got around to cleaning out the swamp. I pressure washed the pool and used bleach and muriatic acid to rid myself of the thick green stains. Word around the neighborhood is the pool leaks. Horrified I frantically searched however I was unable to find any cracks in the plaster but I did find hidden in the thick sludge inside the drain a hydrostatic relief valve. The o-ring was a deep shade of blue and was in terrible shape. Water was obviously leaking through the damaged o-ring gap. Many google searches later I found out what the valve was for and how to replace it. The Haywood valve is very reasonably priced @ $10 however the wrench to extract it is unbelievably expensive @ $35. I did my best to engineer a substitute but gave up in frustration. I purchased the wrench which is just a tooled out piece of 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe with notches cut to fit the ears. It's beyond flimsy but with care and by holding my breath I was able to turn the old valve out and replace. Note: The o-ring had swelled and expanded to the point I was almost unable to seat the wrench on the valve and still get the ears in the notches. If you design one consider making the depth deeper on the thin part of the tool. I am unsure of any other leaks but I sealed up around the drain and the skimmer. The stains were still terrible and since I had no clue what type of paint was on my older concrete pool I opted to go with a water emulsion acrylic paint from INSL-X. The paint came individually boxed and was packaged well! I followed the directions and the paint went on great with the recommended 3/8s nap roller. It covered well and two coats seem to do a great job. I chose white because that was the color last applied to the pool... my wife admonished me because she said I should have chosen blue - pools are blue Kevin... blue. The only reason I won that argument is I had already purchased the white paint. I did over estimate the amount of paint as 2 gallons covered my estimated 4500 gallon kidney shaped pool 15 x 9 x 5 1/2 well. I have a couple of gallons left over that i may eBay along with my over expensive hydrostatic valve tool. My sand filter is a Haywood and when I removed the sand (which smelled like something died in it) the standpipe (thin piece of Crud) broke off. Well that unit is about $ 60 but I was able to replace with a nice piece of 1 1/2 schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to spec and glue securely into the filter assembly. 200 lbs of sand and a few new 1 1/2 unions and I'm ready to filter. I have a timer coming to replace the current non gfci outlet and switch system installed. The old fashioned pool coping on the edge is proving to be a problem. I have about 18inches missing for some reason and I have had a terrible time finding a replacement. I plan on something more decorative like tile next year but I wanted a pool season behind me to find out about any unforeseen issues. I guess I will just have to live with the eyesore or perhaps camouflage it with a glued on pool noodle. I bought based on this boards recommendation the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Today is Saturday and the weather is nice so I just started to fill the pool. I'll post my results as they happen - wish me luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.33.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.33.17 PM.png
    885.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.33.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.33.46 PM.png
    497.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.02 PM.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.02.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.02.20 PM.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.20 PM.png
    512.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.36.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.36.41 PM.png
    753 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.34.38 PM.png
    621.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi, Kevin. My mom had an IG pool and painted it white. Every year, it turned a lovely blue. Tell your wife to have patience, it will be blue. Here's to hoping you've found your major challenges.

Just wanted to update. Pool is almost full. I engaged the pump/filter after the water cleared the skimmer. I used the rinse cycle first as I had replaced the existing sand then engaged the filter. Everything is looking good and both jets are pushing water and the skimmer is pulling. Small mechanical problem is my gauge appears to have the needle stuck on the wrong side of the peg so Im unable to get any reading. When I pulled that assembly off I may have jostled it and got it out of position or it may be bad. Figure I will do first water test tonight and add LC as appropriate. I do wish to report the pool is a nice shade of blue and the wife is thrilled! I have a couple of questions?
1. Anything I need to watch for with this first pool fill from city water supply?
2. What direction should I point water jets for optimal skimming?
3. Will standard pressure gauge from lowes or HD work in my Hayward pump sand filter?

Attachments

• almostfull.png
    almostfull.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
What an adventure you have been on! Nice clean up! Did the smell about knock you out??? Any critters hanging around?

I would test your fill water and share the results here. We will get you set up with a shopping list. For right now look for a close source of chlorine. Some people find it at a pool store (11%). Some at Walmart (10% pool "shock"), others cleaning supply places.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What an adventure you have been on! Nice clean up! Did the smell about knock you out??? Any critters hanging around?

I would test your fill water and share the results here. We will get you set up with a shopping list. For right now look for a close source of chlorine. Some people find it at a pool store (11%). Some at Walmart (10% pool "shock"), others cleaning supply places.

Smell was terrible - tons of frogs and surprisingly earthworms. The sand filter was even worse - anyway its all clean now and my new AquaBot "SpongeBob" is working as I type cleaning up todays leaf debris. Ill post my test results below.

Filter has been running all afternoon and I just finished my first test. As expected FC was 0 but after 1 drop my sample turned slightly pink so I guess that means the CC was 1. I found liquid chlorine today but it was old as methuselah with a born on date @ june of 2018. Its KemTec 10% from Lowes and I picked it up because I knew I would need something in the pool until I could find a suitable born on date. I read somewhere that LC reduces by 20% a year so I adjusted my strength settings from 10% to 8%. I hope that is close. Pool Math suggested 2 cups and 2 oz and added. The pool was a bit base with TA at 90 and PH 7.8 so I followed pool math and added Muriatic acid. My CYA was zero and I don't have any stabilizer so I will have to pick some up. I am happy to report the pool is definitely holding water so there is that!

Reactions: splashpad
That is looking great AND it is holding water=SCORE!

Earthworms?? ewwwwwwww I bet it did smell bad. You had a whole eco system going on there!!! Good job getting it all cleaned up.

I forgot to talk about the gauge. You can get the standard gauge from Lowes or such but know they only last about a year or so. If you want a "good" gauge look in my siggy below where it talks about test kits. They also sell the best gauge out there. It lasts for a good, long time.

I have a set of links I put together for new pool owners. I am thinking you have seen most of these links but wanted to share just in case there were some you have not seen yet:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Kevin Smith
Filter has been running all afternoon and I just finished my first test. As expected FC was 0 but after 1 drop my sample turned slightly pink so I guess that means the CC was 1. I found liquid chlorine today but it was old as methuselah with a born on date @ june of 2018. Its KemTec 10% from Lowes and I picked it up because I knew I would need something in the pool until I could find a suitable born on date. I read somewhere that LC reduces by 20% a year so I adjusted my strength settings from 10% to 8%. I hope that is close. Pool Math suggested 2 cups and 2 oz and added. The pool was a bit base with TA at 90 and PH 7.8 so I followed pool math and added Muriatic acid. My CYA was zero and I don't have any stabilizer so I will have to pick some up. I am happy to report the pool is definitely holding water so there is that!
Unless I missed something (I scanned, so I might have) :p Is your pool holding chlorine yet? Don't add stabilizer before you are getting a chlorine reading 30min after adding it, FC not CC

In fact it is not holding chlorine. Last night I added the LC and around an hour or so later my FC was 3 ppm. I had to work so filter ran all day (timer not on yet). When i got home tonight and checked the sample well it was colorless so I guess 0 ppm. I added LC again and will check again am. Will a sunny day rob a pool that much? So tomorrow when I get the LC the way I want i can add stabilizer correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.