No more bromine tablets and here's the results

The bromine tablets contain dimethylhydantoin (DMH). DMH build up in a brominated hot tub has a similar, negative effect like CYA does in a chlorinated swimming pool - the excess DMH eventually reduces the effectiveness of the bromine. There is no test for DMH, so water exchange is essential for maintaining a clear tub. The tablets are also quite acidic and will consume TA just as trichlor tablets do in a chlorinated pool. So you need to add alkalinity back to the water to keep the pH from crashing.

The tablets are likely causing some of the issues you are seeing with cloudiness. The water has simply become over-stabilized. I suggest you only use the tablets when you are not going to use the tub for a few days or if you have to travel. Otherwise, stick with sodium bromide and bleach activation.

Good Morning, All. I wanted to report back with the status of my hot tub. I stopped using the bromine tablets altogether. Now, I finally got around to draining/refilling the tub yesterday. I dutifully used the Ahhsome protocol. I have to say there was no green foam, there was not a speck of anything in this tub. There was not a trace of goo behind the jet pack. All I have been doing is adding 12.5% bleach (pool type shock) as needed to keep the bromine figures in the 1,2's and 3's. The PH has been relatively stable ranging from 6.8 to 7.7. During this time, the water was crystal clear, every day. This tub is used every day and I add 1 ounce of the shock after tubbing.

Here is my question to you all - If the tub is THAT clean, what in god's green earth is it doing to me? I have to say I was completely shocked to find it so clean. I have never seen it so clean. Now I think it's best to back off a bit with the bleach. I do not want to sanitize myself into trouble here.
It is said we all eat a pound of dirt in our lives and it's good for you. I don't want to reverse that at this stage of the game. Thoughts on this, anyone? Much appreciated! Lyd

Hi Tim, I was not clear, I am so sorry. I have always used bromine in my tub. I got to the point previously, where no matter what I did, it was always cloudy. I got tired of that and was advised that the floating bromine tabs were not helping my issue. I ditched the floaty. I read your suggested article and I re-read the Bromine article. I think I have figured it out.

I should not be adding bleach every night. I should simply be shocking the tub once a week. It article says to check the pH and the bromine level daily. Kinda hard I would think if the bromine level is so low, it may not register. I am going to try to just add the bleach one day a week and see what happens. Thank you for your help. Lyd

Update on not putting 1 oz of 12.5 bleach in every night. The water got a tiny bit cloudy. I added a couple of Tablespoons of bleach and that cleared it right up. The next night I checked the PH and it was 4.3. I have never had pH that low in my life. What happened? I added pH up and got it to 7.3. Bromine level was almost undetectable. Now I am getting confused. If bromine readings are too high in the 3-4 range and adding bleach every night is too much, my pH is dropping without it....what am I doing wrong now? Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.