No Generation Below 60 Degrees? Looking for Help

mweg

Nov 8, 2020
Frisco, TX
Good Morning All-

My pool is two months old. After a trip to Leslie’s yesterday I learned salt water chlorine generators will not produce chlorine when water temp is below 60, or it will severely strain the system. Leslies said to add traditional chlorine to compensate until the water warms back up. Something our builder never told us.

I have a Jandy Aquapure, model PLC1400. Been doing some research and can’t find an answer anywhere, even the manual. My question is should I disconnect DC plug/big black 3 prong thing on the top so it quits trying to produce in the cold temps? I’ve read some systems have an auto shut off when it reaches a certain temp but I can’t find if I have that. Looking for some guidance on this as this is my first pool, and temps are getting close to 60 pretty consistently.

Thanks for the help, and apologies for my ignorance.

Welcome to the forum!
The article linked below provides some great information on your SWCG. The Aquapure will stop generating chlorine at 51F water temperature. There is no harm in leaving it attached to the system as long as you have freeze protection set up. When the water is that temperature and below, it is a good idea to test the FC every week and add liquid chlorine to return the FC to target level based on the FC/CYA Levels. Having your own proper test kit is very important. Pool store testing is inaccurate and not repeatable.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

M,

Not sure that 60 is the magic number, but when the water gets cold, the cell normally turns off and should let you know.. In theory, my cell works until gets to 52 degrees..

It is quite normal to add liquid chlorine when the cell shuts off.. The good news is that FC does not get consumed very quickly this time a year. So dosing once or twice a week should be plenty.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Great information guys, thanks so much. My pool is 2 months old and after a lot of reading and conversation, it sounds like with a pebble tech pool it takes a good 6 months for everything to stabilize. I’m going to keep up with my testing and adding as needing, but try not to over think things which I think is my biggest problem.

Last edited:
Hey neighbor. In the winter you will not need to add much chlorine, but I have a few gallons of liquid chlorine on hand (Walmart Pool Essentials brand is the best deal/easiest to find around us). I'll also add a floater with some pucks this winter, if my CYA needs a bit of a bump.

BTW - This site is all about testing yourself and avoiding the pool stores that are always trying to sell you stuff and many times provide questionable advice. Do you have your own test kit?

Hey neighbor. In the winter you will not need to add much chlorine, but I have a few gallons of liquid chlorine on hand (Walmart Pool Essentials brand is the best deal/easiest to find around us). I'll also add a floater with some pucks this winter, if my CYA needs a bit of a bump.

BTW - This site is all about testing yourself and avoiding the pool stores that are always trying to sell you stuff and many times provide questionable advice. Do you have your own test kit?
I do. Just one the pool builder gave us. Are there any brands or methods that are better than others?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.