No Electric to Balancing My Pool

Re: No Electric & Adding Chemicals

I thought it takes a week to get an accurate reading?

AFAIK a week is a safe number. For CYA it's generally better to wait a bit too long and get the right reading rather than testing too soon, going "OMG it's too low" and adding more, then a week later wondering how it got so high...

Given how quickly your CYA went out of the sock you probably don't have to wait a week, but I don't know how much less... and there's not a big advantage to testing sooner anyways.

No Electric & Adding Chemicals

Whoo hoo!!! Just tested chlorine, which is normally zapped in three hours, and it was at 1. That's a success for me. I added bleach yesterday evening, so it made it through this hot sunny day. Just added three cups.

Question, if I'm shooting for a chlorine level of 3, should I keep my goal at 3 or raise it to 4?

I don't want FC to drop below 2, correct?

Correct, you don't want FC to drop below 2 for CYA 30.
For CYA 30, the recommended target FC is 4, you can definitely raise it (see Chlorine/CYA chart).
What is your CC?

Thanks Abigail. I changed my Target to 4 for FC.

I just tested everything (including CYA, I figured I'd practice)

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
TC: 2.0
pH: 7.8
CH: 150
TA: 120
CYA: 20 (I kept 30 in the pool math calculation since I am still waiting the week for accurate results)

So, per my numbers and pool school, I just need to add 30 oz of bleach and call it a day. This is my first day bumping my target up to 4 from 3. So, hoping that will mean tomorrow evening, my chlorine will be 2.

No Electric & Adding Chemicals

Just tested my CYA and I'm going to say it was 20 still. If I'm not supposed to see that black dot at all, def 20. If I pretend I can barely see it, 25. Ha!!!

Getting my chlorine down. Let it hit 1.5 today, but getting better at keeping it above 2.

So, other then my daily chlorine, I added 11 oz stabilizer in my boring ole sock. Trying to get CYA up to at least 30. I obviously undershot a little, but I knew that and figured it would be better to undershoot then have to drain some of my crystal clear sparkly water.

Today's Full Test Results

pH 7.6
FC 1.5
CC 0.5 (may be less)
TC 2.0
TA 120
CH 150
CYA 20

Also, finally got to vacuum with the Lil Shark auto vac (and guided it myself) and it did a nifty job. Didn't have much to vacuum, but got what was there. Also, back washed for the first time. Got that down too.

Oh, if I want to rinse after backwash, would I use the "Filter to Waste Option"?

Just tested my CYA and I'm going to say it was 20 still. If I'm not supposed to see that black dot at all, def 20. If I pretend I can barely see it, 25. Ha!!!

Getting my chlorine down. Let it hit 1.5 today, but getting better at keeping it above 2.

So, other then my daily chlorine, I added 11 oz stabilizer in my boring ole sock. Trying to get CYA up to at least 30. I obviously undershot a little, but I knew that and figured it would be better to undershoot then have to drain some of my crystal clear sparkly water.

Today's Full Test Results

pH 7.6
FC 1.5
CC 0.5 (may be less)
TC 2.0
TA 120
CH 150
CYA 20

Also, finally got to vacuum with the Lil Shark auto vac (and guided it myself) and it did a nifty job. Didn't have much to vacuum, but got what was there. Also, back washed for the first time. Got that down too.

Oh, if I want to rinse after backwash, would I use the "Filter to Waste Option"?
I believe so, according to this post.

For vacuuming, get the kids to ruin around the edge and get a whirlpool going before they get out. It will concentrate most of the debris in the center so vacuuming is easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I believe so, according to this post.

For vacuuming, get the kids to ruin around the edge and get a whirlpool going before they get out. It will concentrate most of the debris in the center so vacuuming is easier.

Thanks for the link!! That's what I assumed from the manual. Just wanted to make sure.

Love the vacuuming tip! I'll def get my girls to do that before we vacuum.

I just wanted to pop in and say I followed the TFP Method all summer and my pool has been crystal clear, great levels and just so much fun. Thanks again to this forum and those who helped me get started. I feel so bad for those who are not using this method. Not only because our water has been great, but this was at a very minimal cost!! Can't beat that.

I just wanted to pop in and say I followed the TFP Method all summer and my pool has been crystal clear, great levels and just so much fun. Thanks again to this forum and those who helped me get started. I feel so bad for those who are not using this method. Not only because our water has been great, but this was at a very minimal cost!! Can't beat that.
Glad you enjoyed the pool. I was just looking at mine watching a frog swim around (one visits every night) thinking it's getting a little cold for me - but not him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.