No chlorine output, start of 3rd season SJ-40

Jun 5, 2013
Having a bit of a frustrating start with my SWG. This is the start of my 3rd season using SWG. 2018 was a first install of a complete SJ-40 unit. 2018 was awesome, moderate SWG %, moderate pump time, steady chlorine.

Last year, I think the SWG ran briefly at the very beginning, then it refused to run. Some blinking light if I recall, no gas production visible in the cell. DiscountSaltPool, to their credit shipped me out a new control box and had me ship back the original. That got my chrloine back, but I had to run the pump far more constant with the SWG about maxed out to keep chlorine steady.

This year, if it was producing chlorine at all, it wasn't for long. Chlorine levels were coming down following initial slam. Did record no chlorine loss following an overnight loss test, allowed chlorine to drift down and started SWG off low power when chlorine was nearing normal levels. However last night I tested 3.5 FC. I bumped the SWG to Super CL mode, and this morning I tested chlorine at 3.5 FC. Either I've got a perfectly operating SWG with a algae problem in my crystal clear pool, or my SWG stopped working again. Moderate gas production from cell. Kind of subjective but I thought it was a bit more radical with the bubbles at higher output.

4000 ppm of salt. PH 7.3. (Just added CYA to jump from 50 to 80 when it appeared SWG was struggling)

I've noticed little to no scale buildup on fins of cell too. First year it would get a very fine layer, but the reversing polarity of the SJ-40 seemed to keep that ever from growing.

Get the Taylor K-1106 Phosphate Test Kit and see what your phosphate level is. Some SWG manufactures have talked about phospahtes blocking SWG output. It is not clear if there is truth to it or not but there have been some reports of SWG output getting back to normal after high phosphate levels have been removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.