No chlorine again, clear water but think I have some sort of algae...

willy17

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2017
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi All, finally got a test kit, had thought I had my issues under control but they seem to be back. I had some sort of issue a couple weeks back that I thought I had beat following advice and reading forms here. Bombed the thing with bleach, but home from work this morning, I check, and water clear but no chlorine. I checked my skimmer sock (in since Sunday evening - kids have been in but not a massive pool party or anything) and it has an orangish/brownish film on it, I will try to add picture to the post. I am new to the K2006 test kit but believe I am getting the hang of it. I am going to post 2 test results, I am guessing this road leads to a SLAM but before I start any idea what the heck I have going on here? Could the brown/orange be as simple as pollen (no ring around pool so I’m thinking worse than that).
July 7 test
PH-7.6
FC- 3.2
CC- .4
CH-220
TA- 110
CYA - 65
After this test, we were in the pool but I did run about 4 hours on superchlorinate. At end of night I did top pool up a couple inches with hose water and we get a fair amount of evaporation. Did not add any chems, nor did I cover pool or anything. LAst couple weeks I was running the system 24 hours, but chlorine had stayed high through week, so knocked it down to running overnight, which I’m guessing is a mistake I make too - trying to save a buck but not sure its worth this frustration. (Runs 7 hours overnight weekdays, and all through day 9-7 on weekends)
Kids in for a little bit last night but again only 2 of them...
This mornings test:
PH - 7.6
FC - 0
CC- 0
TA - 120
CH - 200
CYA - 70

DBC08963-F766-4A70-AE6C-A872478D6FF5.jpeg

Thanks for your help in advance.

Zero FC and a CYA of 70 are not a good sign. How much FC are you adding each day with your SWCG?

Add liquid chlorine now to get FC to target range. See FC/CYA Levels. You can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. But if you sense you have algae now, go straight to SLAM Process.

For normal testing use a 10 ml water sample, 1 scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
If you go into SLAM, use a 5 ml water sample, 1 scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 1 ppm FC. Your K2006 comes with very little reagent. You need to find a source for refills now.

Zero FC and a CYA of 70 are not a good sign. How much FC are you adding each day with your SWCG?

Can you expand on this at all, I’m trying to take as much in as possible - I’m angry at this thing right now and trying my hardest! My SWG was at 55%

Add liquid chlorine now to get FC to target range. See FC/CYA Levels. You can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. But if you sense you have algae now, go straight to SLAM Process.

I will get this done tonight. Like I say, water is clear that sock just bothered me - can it be something as simple as kids sunscreen?

For normal testing use a 10 ml water sample, 1 scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
If you go into SLAM, use a 5 ml water sample, 1 scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 1 ppm FC. Your K2006 comes with very little reagent. You need to find a source for refills now.

Yes, should have added, the wrong kit was sent, waiting for 2006C. Tough to get in Ontario!

Can you expand on this at all, I’m trying to take as much in as possible - I’m angry at this thing right now and trying my hardest! My SWG was at 55%

I will get this done tonight. Like I say, water is clear that sock just bothered me - can it be something as simple as kids sunscreen?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, should have added, the wrong kit was sent, waiting for 2006C. Tough to get in Ontario!

You show you have an IC02 SWCG -- there is no such thing. Is that an IC20?
If so, you need to run your SWCG at about 50% 24 hours per day or 100% 12 hours per day to make sufficient FC each day. Use Poolmath app to see how to adjust the SWCG for your FC needs.
The sock could have been sunscreen. That is why you should do a OCLT.

Hopefully you adding chlorine this morning. If you left it at 0 for all day, you will most likely need to SLAM.

One question, is it normal to run the SWG at 100% if i wanted to only run the pump for 12 hours a day?
Sure. With testing you may find you can back off on that in your climate. But that is the conservative starting point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, just finished morning check, looks like I’ve got an issue. I left the pump on overnight, and disconnected SWG. We were in it last night, but I tested it about 1.5 hours after getting out.
FC was 5 last night about 8:30, and 2.5 this morning at 6:30.
Blows my mind because the water looks so Dang clear its beautiful. I have to be away tomorrow overnight so if SLAM is req’d looks like I cant start until about 10-11am Friday meaning the most fun part of this will be telling my kids no swimming on the weekend. Oh boy!!

Sounds like a couple people peed in the pool. That'd remove chlorine quickly especially at the low level you are keeping it at. Hopefully the chlorine level recovers and you don't need to SLAM. Keep you chlorine level higher moving forward and when you are expecting kids, increase the level with liquid bleach a few points.

I noticed that sock had collected quite a bit of debris.......is that one day's worth? Just curious.

Secondly, I think you are wise to simply SLAM the pool. The CYA of 65 buffers the chlorine and TFP suggests it is perfectly safe to swim in a pool at SLAM level chlorine.

Do ALL the things in the SLAM article precisely and I think your pool will be pristine.

I am guessing on that orangeish stain.....haven't seen anything exactly like it. Sun tan oil is a possibility, so is iron, if you fill from a well.

I would see if it reoccurs (perhaps change brands of sun tan oil) and then post back

I noticed that sock had collected quite a bit of debris.......is that one day's worth? Just curious.

Secondly, I think you are wise to simply SLAM the pool. The CYA of 65 buffers the chlorine and TFP suggests it is perfectly safe to swim in a pool at SLAM level chlorine.

Do ALL the things in the SLAM article precisely and I think your pool will be pristine.

I am guessing on that orangeish stain.....haven't seen anything exactly like it. Sun tan oil is a possibility, so is iron, if you fill from a well.

I would see if it reoccurs (perhaps change brands of sun tan oil) and then post back

That’s more than a day, I was away, probably closer to 72hrs in that. We are on city water - I’m hopeful that orange is related to the kids sunscreen - reviewing now looks like zinc oxide (20%) in one, titanium dioxide and a whole whack of other Crud in the other. I just switched the sock that was in the last 24 hours and it was pretty clean, just the regular dog fur and few bugs, no orange.

I will start to slam Friday morning as I feel starting today will be a waste as I leave so early tomorrow and gone until Friday.
I’m so curious to know what the heck is up with this thing, but will be happy to put it behind me after slamming hopefully.
Based on the weath of knowledge here anyone have a best guess on timing for SLAM (don’t worry I’m not holding anyone to this) when the pool is crystal clear - I know impossible to be sure and each pool is different. We get a pretty full day of sun on the pool so I will have to stay on top of it.

Sounds like a couple people peed in the pool. That'd remove chlorine quickly especially at the low level you are keeping it at. Hopefully the chlorine level recovers and you don't need to SLAM. Keep you chlorine level higher moving forward and when you are expecting kids, increase the level with liquid bleach a few points.
Hi, I had previously been running it based on pool store testing and recommendations - have to admit they’ve been pretty good but I was finally able to get the K2006 and waiting on what was supposed to be sent the K2006C - in Canada it was tough to get.
Anyways, based on the CYA/FC chart i will now aim to keep it about the 5PPM level moving forward and bump it when kids coming as you recommend. Thank you.

Hi, I had previously been running it based on pool store testing and recommendations - have to admit they’ve been pretty good but I was finally able to get the K2006 and waiting on what was supposed to be sent the K2006C - in Canada it was tough to get.
Anyways, based on the CYA/FC chart i will now aim to keep it about the 5PPM level moving forward and bump it when kids coming as you recommend. Thank you.

I suggest targeting 10% of your CYA as your base free chlorine level.

Based on the weath of knowledge here anyone have a best guess on timing for SLAM (don’t worry I’m not holding anyone to this) when the pool is crystal clear - I know impossible to be sure and each pool is different. We get a pretty full day of sun on the pool so I will have to stay on top of it.
As you know every pool is different but I can give you my recent experience. I had active algae and cloudy water and started SLAMing June 30th. I was adding about 20 ppm of chlorine to get to the SLAM target of 24 based on my CYA of 60. The pool cleared and was crystal clear after about 2 days but was still going through chlorine and the OCLT loss was about 4 to 5 ppm. The advice I received on the forum was keep slaming and increase the number of chlorine additions throughout the day (upped it to 5 additions per day). I passed the OCLT on Saturday so the SLAM lasted just over a week. Since then the chlorine levels have been dropping about 2 ppm per day. I am new to the forum so I can't say if this is at all typical but as I said, it is my experience.

I am also in Canada and next time you need a test kit you may want to check out crossborderpickups.ca. They give you a U.S. address to ship to and will clear the package across the border and deliver to Markham or Mississauga where you can pick it up and the cost is only $10 per package. I ordered a test kit and received it in just over a week.

As you know every pool is different but I can give you my recent experience. I had active algae and cloudy water and started SLAMing June 30th. I was adding about 20 ppm of chlorine to get to the SLAM target of 24 based on my CYA of 60. The pool cleared and was crystal clear after about 2 days but was still going through chlorine and the OCLT loss was about 4 to 5 ppm. The advice I received on the forum was keep slaming and increase the number of chlorine additions throughout the day (upped it to 5 additions per day). I passed the OCLT on Saturday so the SLAM lasted just over a week. Since then the chlorine levels have been dropping about 2 ppm per day. I am new to the forum so I can't say if this is at all typical but as I said, it is my experience.

I am also in Canada and next time you need a test kit you may want to check out crossborderpickups.ca. They give you a U.S. address to ship to and will clear the package across the border and deliver to Markham or Mississauga where you can pick it up and the cost is only $10 per package. I ordered a test kit and received it in just over a week.

Awesome, thanks for sharing experience, hopefully it goes smoothly here too. Also huge thank you for sharing the cross border shipping, I never thought of that approach, but will once I need to replenish!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.