No chlorine after adding 5 jugs of bleach

Hi and welcome to TFP! Can you post a full test please? Also, could you fill out your signature with your pool details.

I have a guess but it's best to look at test results before jumping to conclusions.

ch,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your "Where did my bleach go?" questions... :shark:

We need your test readings, as Mr. B has pointed out, just to be sure..

It could be that the bleach you bought was very old and not at all 6%, or that you have algae which can consume chlorine almost as fast as you add it, or that you have zero CYA and the sun quickly consumed the bleach, or a combination of all three...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Are you saying your FC is zero....did you also test for CCs?

Was this old bleach? Or purchased from a discounter, or a hardware store that stores it outside in the sun and heat? It could be nothing more than water if those are the case.

Get some fresh bleach from the grocery store where you know there is a fast turn over of stock and lets try this again. Tell us what happens.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I asked PoolMath to tell me how much 6 x 121 ounce jugs of 6% bleach should provide and it said- it should have raised your FC by 13ppm.

you put all the jugs in at one time and mixed it in, right? How long till you tested the water?

No matter what the problem is- the cure is more chlorine. See if any local pool stores sell concentrated bleach in carboys. Like 12% bleach.

Maddie :flower:

I have put in nearly 10 jugs of bleach it is all fresh and has over 6% in it.

You mention it is fresh. Are you taking that based on expiration date on the jugs or the fact it just came from a retailer?

I ask because Ace Hardware had 12% bleach jugs in 4 packs last year (2.50 a jug sale). It turned out they were near their expiration and were basically 3% bleach when used (using pool math calc to figure it out). Took me 1 case of 4 and 1 jug from a second before I put 2 and 2 together and returned them. The ace manager didn't understand at first when I tried to explain. We discussed the shelf life of 12% vs the lower 8.25 or 6%. He said they just got them in from the warehouse. Anyways, I always check jug expiration before buying from a retailer (and now know they print it on the box for those 4 packs as well).

You mention it is fresh. Are you taking that based on expiration date on the jugs or the fact it just came from a retailer?

I ask because Ace Hardware had 12% bleach jugs in 4 packs last year (2.50 a jug sale). It turned out they were near their expiration and were basically 3% bleach when used (using pool math calc to figure it out). Took me 1 case of 4 and 1 jug from a second before I put 2 and 2 together and returned them. The ace manager didn't understand at first when I tried to explain. We discussed the shelf life of 12% vs the lower 8.25 or 6%. He said they just got them in from the warehouse. Anyways, I always check jug expiration before buying from a retailer (and now know they print it on the box for those 4 packs as well).
Gotcha. I was just assuming from a retailer. I can't find any bleach higher than 6 %

If you have zero CYA and full sun is hitting that water, the chlorine will be gone very quickly.
Like within an hour.
Ok. I got you. But even if i put it in at night will it leave the next day. This is my first year trying the bbb method. I've normally spent hundreds at leslie's

Now I'm at a stall because my freaking spider gasket is faulty I'm guessing because back wash water is leaking. I've fixed it before

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.