No Bottom Drain, how to circulate water at bottom of deep end

tim86

May 14, 2017
Michigan City/Indiana
i have a 10k gallon ingroundpool, vinyl liner, just before spring the pool cover got blow off some and all stuff on top went into the pool, i finally got pool clean and chemicals balanced outside of chlorine being high but is dropping to normal levels slowly, shocked pool twice, but problem i have is cant get water at bottom of deep end completely clear, u can see bottom of pool fine but still has a slight green tint to it, shallow end is perfectly clear, there is no bottom drain to the pool, just one skimmer and one returns on opposite ends of same wall, has a sand filter and sand was replaced this year, pretty much what im asking is how do i circulate the water at bottom of deep end enough so that it gets sucked into the skimmer and filtered with only one return on opposite end? This is first year living at this house, pool is 25 years old, but new liner put in 2 years ago

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First I would suggest that you take a look at the SLAM Process process which is what we recommend you follow to ensure that there truly is nothing growing in the water. Doing this does require the use of a FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is the best investment you can make as far as pool maintenance.

Do you have any sort of automatic cleaner? They work very well at circulating the water at the bottom of the pool.

You can also point your deep end return down some to aid in circulation.

Unforntly i dont have a deep end return, just a single return at the shallow end, pool is 25 feet long, and return is maybe 6 inches from the one edge at shallow end,so far as i can tell water at bottom deep end has very little circulation, and no automatic cleaner atm but looking to invest into one, when looking at deep end u can tell that 2 feet down or so is clear and from there starts to have the green tint, before the entire pool did, and ill look into ordering the test kit, atm just have the test strips, one thing was thinking about is would it help if put a sump pump near bottom of deep end and the return from sump pump going to the skimmer?

- - - Updated - - -

and for what its worth, been backflushing when psi reads close to 20 (15 psi is when filter been backwashed), at 20 psi u can see and feel difference in flow from the single return, pump is a 1HP hayward

Did you follow the full SLAM process in Pool School? If you're still getting algae growth, you may need to revisit that. Otherwise, brushing it should kick it up so the chlorine can kill it and the filter can more readily clear it out.

From a hardware point of view, I have a Polaris pool cleaner which does a great job stirring up my pool.

Free chlorine is currently at 10(highest strip will read), and do have a liquid chlorine test kit and it reads same, i shocked the pool twice after vacuum all debrey and filter been running 24/7 for over week now, alkaline and PH is at ideal range, maybe it will just take a few more weeks since only a single return on shallow end and nothing else?

We do not shock pools. You need a better test kit and to read and follow the SLAM process. What we teach is likely different than the nonsense pool stores have been feeding you.

After that, then adding some sort of cleaner is needed to keep your pool clean, unless you plan to manually vacuum every week.

i went ahead and bought the TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 kit, be a few days and when have the money ill invest in a automatic cleaner, right now have a battery vac that does good job, so least dont have hook vac to skimmer. Also there is a automatic chlorinator for the pool, i have it off atm till free chlorine levels drop some, have some 80 degree days coming up so figure will then. And in general how much of a issue due u think going to be only have a single skimmer and a single return with no drains, and the only return being on the shallow end?

and when say shock pool, poured bag of powder chlorine shock into the pool and let it circulate, that brought the free chlorine and total chlorine level to 10, and been there for 5 days, but weather been in 60s, so pool temp has been under 60 the entire time, and then balanced the ph and alkaline levels, last read FC and TC was at 10, ph was right about 7.4-7.6, alkalinity was at about 80 and stabilizer was about 40 ( ill be able get more accurate when get new test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes i read SLAM, till i get test kit wont be able do it competly, the test strips put cya at about 40, all i know with the FC is that its at least 10, wont know how high till get new test kit, also i added some DE to sand filter till it raised 1 psi. and from picture i posted, does it look to you just need do SLAM and keep doing it till chlorine kills everything and wont drop more then 1 ppm over night?

Thanks for confirming you checked out Pool School, we teach slightly different methods.

Yup, slam when you get the kit. And a bunch of brushing to help mix the water until you can get a cleaner of some sort.

Figure give quick follow up, the day i posted on the forum, we jumped in the pool for a little bit, and im guessing just from stirring everything up, came out next day and water was crystal clear and blue, and got kit Wednesday and everything is is exactly where suppose to be outside alkaline little high but adjusted that 20170516_115745_1494953892602.jpg20170517_100408_1495033460483.jpg

chlorine was at 10+ for a week due to bring it to shock levels after everything fell in off cover, and it stayed there for a week, but also temps outside was at 60-70 and water temp was at 60 or under, earlier this week we had 4 days of 80+ and got water temp up to 72 and chlorine has dropped to 5, when in the pool u cant smell anything outside how pool normally smells and was it in for hour yesterday and no burning or irritation of any kind, also have another question, i have a sand filter, installed new sand when opened it this year and before added thoroughly cleaned out the sand and all feet at bottom, well im getting a very little amount of sand out of return im guess because every day having to vacuum it and little bit sand mixed it, im using a battery powered vac that has a mesh filter, so im able see what all is vac up, the sand is extremly small amount, and just settles on edges and on few wrinkles in liner, is this normal with sand only being week old in filter? and buy small mean after day total sand im seeing probley wouldn't even fill a spoon, its mostly dirt but the amount on bottom is defiantly noticeable, if u look at picture of deep end i post up top u can see a little bit of it settling on bottom, im cleaning the skimmer basket and vacuum daily, sometimes 2x a day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.