Nip It In The Bud

Jul 27, 2018
South of Dallas, TX
I displayed massive amounts of POP getting my pool to clear up this season and it was beautiful. I just upgraded my pump/filter and now the water is a little cloudy and needs a brushing everyday. So today I tested everything and noticed my CH was low. I didn't think that would cause it but I added calcium chloride anyway. Do I need to SLAM again? My numbers have been pretty stable.

Is that the only thing I should ignore in the app?

What if I pass the test? Or does that just not happen when the water is cloudy?
Yes, CH can pretty much be ignore until it grows above the suggested range. Likewise CSI can be ignore as long as it's below +0.3.

If you pass the test, it means the cloudiness isn't algae but rather calcium clouding.

Just swept up a bunch of algae. I guess I need to SLAM again. I really don't want to have to do it once a month.
I'm not convinced you ever finished the last one.

You have to pass all three tests simultaneously to call a SLAM complete
1) The water is clear. I suppose we ought to rephrase that to say something like clear and no sign of algae. If oit's still cloudy you don't even need to worry about the next two tests
2) CC is .5 or less
3) Pass OCLT

If your water is still full of algae, you're not done even if you passed the OCLT with only 1 lost FC. Considering many of us only lose 2 FC in 24 hours, 1 FC in 8 is not an absolute guarantee that all the algae is gone. In fact, losing 1 FC with no sunlight is pretty generous.

You need to raise FC to shock level and get busy with the brush anywhere you see algae spots. Algae develops a slimy biofilm to protect it. Sorta like a scab. You need to brush it off so the bleach can get in and kill it. Then restest FC and raise it again as needed. People have turned black sludge into sparkling water in a matter of days by following the SLAM Process instructions. There's many stories, with pictures to back them up, here. Just do what they did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.