Night swimming and bats

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
129
Pensacola
#1
We had this problem last summer and already, I have noticed again this spring that when the underwater pool light is on bats seem to be attracted to the pool. I know that they are probably just feeding on mosquitos and maybe they see them above the pool with the light on. I am not personally scared of the bats but my girlfriend and others are spooked as the bats fly real low, sometimes within inches of your head. Does anybody else have this problem with night swimming, and is there anything that you can do to scare the bats off, other that turning the light out?
 

Cap

Member
Apr 14, 2007
15
Longview, Texas
#3
We have bats that seem to enjoy our pool light. We usually look forward to their arrival because our mosquito problem disappears within a few days.

When my children would have friends over they would be sort of spooked for a while but they got used to it.
 

tphaggerty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
218
Poughquag, NY
#6
Same here. Doesn't bother me but my wife hates it. I just noticed our first bat this year. They were roosting in one of my gable vents last year, great for getting rid of bugs but pretty nasty for the attic. I put screen on the outside of the vent, hopefully they will find somewhere else close to roost.
 

muss08

In The Industry
Mar 22, 2008
56
Maryland
#7
I dont think the problem is the light. Bats are mostly blind and dont like the light. It is probably just the bugs as they are attracted to the water and the light. Turning the light on attracts bugs which attracts the bats. Feel blessed that you have bats to eat all the bugs.
 

frankthailand

Well-known member
Apr 22, 2008
152
Thailand
#8
clap your hands :-D no seriously me and kids went home to aussie so they could see granny she lives in the bush and we all had to march around clapping our hands to get them out of the house freaked the kids out until they got used to them Hilarious they are harmless and benefical and never bump into you they only eat insects not blood :p :twisted:
GONE BATTY Frank
 

kevreh

In The Industry
Jun 2, 2007
412
Annandale, VA
#9
budysr said:
We had this problem last summer and already, I have noticed again this spring that when the underwater pool light is on bats seem to be attracted to the pool. I know that they are probably just feeding on mosquitos and maybe they see them above the pool with the light on. I am not personally scared of the bats but my girlfriend and others are spooked as the bats fly real low, sometimes within inches of your head. Does anybody else have this problem with night swimming, and is there anything that you can do to scare the bats off, other that turning the light out?
Floating in the pool, looking up at a starry night, and watching bats fly around is cool. Embrace it.
 

Pointyhead

Well-known member
May 17, 2012
113
Central Georgia
#10
What I thought was an unusal birdhouse about 20 feet up a tree near our pool turns out to be a bat house. Also, I found two more on the property I hadn't seen before. The previous owner put them up to keep down the insect population near the pool. Now I don't have to run the bug zapper!
 

MattB

Active member
Jul 6, 2011
40
Chambana, Illinois
#11
We have bats just about every night we are out in the pool and we love our bats! They fly very close to the water but never hit us in the head--veering away at the last second. Here in Illinois all 12 bat species are protected. It is unlawful to kill them.

And just last week the hummingbirds have returned during the day. My wife plants cana flowers around the pool each spring and the hummingbirds love them. They are amazing to watch. I have to remember to breathe when I am watching one.
 
Apr 10, 2012
21
Lees Summit, MO
#12
We had a dead bat in a skimmer this season :shock: . We see them, but they are fairly high usually. We put a red cover over the light to reduce the bug dive bombers and it seems to reduce the bugs greatly. Got it at Leslies.
 

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
4,052
Dallas, TX
#13
We have bats every night. We look forward to them coming out. First the purple martins come over, then the dragonflies, then the bats. One of my border collies loves to chase them. When dusk starts to fall, she's ready to go to the pool. You say the word "Bat" around dusk and she goes crazy.
 

gkruske

Well-known member
Aug 7, 2009
220
#14
They won't bother anyone. Only downside is if they're roosting ON your house. I have had 8 of them for years, all tucked away between the deck and the house. When they wake up in the spring, they need to poop. A LOT. Sometimes I feel like my deck is nothing more than a hamster cage. Beats a ton of mosquitoes, though.
 

Pointyhead

Well-known member
May 17, 2012
113
Central Georgia
#16
gkruske said:
They won't bother anyone. Only downside is if they're roosting ON your house. I have had 8 of them for years, all tucked away between the deck and the house. When they wake up in the spring, they need to poop. A LOT. Sometimes I feel like my deck is nothing more than a hamster cage. Beats a ton of mosquitoes, though.

There's a big business for bat guano. Bag it and sell it on ebay!
 

gkruske

Well-known member
Aug 7, 2009
220
#17
Pointyhead said:
gkruske said:
They won't bother anyone. Only downside is if they're roosting ON your house. I have had 8 of them for years, all tucked away between the deck and the house. When they wake up in the spring, they need to poop. A LOT. Sometimes I feel like my deck is nothing more than a hamster cage. Beats a ton of mosquitoes, though.

There's a big business for bat guano. Bag it and sell it on ebay!
You are correct. I suppose if I let it all pile up over the summer, then I might have a slight cash crop. Not sure what the wife would think about me harvesting poop.