Nicheless lights

Steve7124

Dec 15, 2019
Austin, Texas
Moved from here.

Hello! Ok, bit of a tangent here. I need to replace my pool lights and after a great deal of research (everyone say, just need to unscrew one screw to take the light out) I have determined I must have nichless lights in my pool (installed in 2011). I managed to unscrew the faceplate to the light, but have no idea how to get the actual light out. Are they all the same and is it just a quarter turn to unlock it, or is there some other secret to get the light out to replace it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Pentair GloBrite lights. To remove them, you first isolate the power from them, disconnect the wiring at the JBox, tie a pull string to the wiring, then pull the light out of pool. The cord and light are one unit. You use the pull cord to pull the new light/cord assembly into place.

You need to determine what brand of light they are. Then get with InyoPools to determine what you can replace them with.

I have Pentair GloBrite lights. To remove them, you first isolate the power from them, disconnect the wiring at the JBox, tie a pull string to the wiring, then pull the light out of pool. The cord and light are one unit. You use the pull cord to pull the new light/cord assembly into place.

You need to determine what brand of light they are. Then get with InyoPools to determine what you can replace them with.
Thanks for your reply, however to get the light removed do you just pull it out or does it unscrew. My light does not twist easily so I don't want to break something trying to take it out the wrong way.

I know that there is usually a tool to match each different brand/type of of nicheless lights. The older Savi Jandy lights had a 2 prong pin tool, the latest water cooled Jandy ones have a new star pattern tool to screw them in which should be a little easier. The Pentair Nicheless lights have a special tool as well - below is a screen shot from the Pentair manual showing a drawing of the tool to give you an idea.

Pentair.jpg

Reactions: Steve7124
After disconnecting the wiring from the JBox, you pull the light out. Be sure you use a pull string tied to the wire of the old light. You do need to use a tool to unlatch the light from the housing.

I know that there is usually a tool to match each different brand/type of of nicheless lights. The older Savi Jandy lights had a 2 prong pin tool, the latest water cooled Jandy ones have a new star pattern tool to screw them in which should be a little easier. The Pentair Nicheless lights have a special tool as well - below is a screen shot from the Pentair manual showing a drawing of the tool to give you an idea.

View attachment 123993
Thank you. Of course I Don t know the brand I have so don't know which tool to get but at least I know they all unscrew from the wall fitting. Once I get the light out I will know what brand to replace it with as well as the appropriate tool.

Once the water warms up you can probably use something other than the specific tool to get them out. Something with a blunt end. Might need a couple of them.

Depending on the type of tool you need, our installer, who replaced our last set of lights, said he used needle nose pliers when the special tool wasn't available for the older 2 pin style Jandy/Savi lights...he said it was a pain to do when they were tight. Even with him using the proper tool our fittings are now a bit scratched up - not sure how that happened, but it doesn't really matter - just more info for you...

I found that my lights have a plastic ring that screws in and appears to take a special 4 pin too. I was able to unscrew that ring but the light remains in there and does not look like it has any holes for a tool to hold on to. I was thinking I would use channel locks with a rag to try to unscrew the light...

The light will not really 'unscrew'. At most it is a partial turn to latch it in. Though with the ring you removed, it may not even have that.

Since it needs to be changed, I would suggest disconnecting the cable at the JBox and see if the light can be pulled out.

Reactions: Steve7124

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.