Newly plaster pool with plaster dust sticking to plaster

vp1600

Nov 2, 2009
Hi, first post here. Is a great site with most valuable information. I just got my pool replastered 3 weeks ago with diamond brite color tahoe blue (shouldn't have let the pool plaster guy talked me into it). Despite brushing 1-2x daily and having the pump on high speed 24/7, the plaster dust stuck onto plaster now. Any way I can remedy this or I will have to live with the white plaster dust discoloration until I replaster again?

Did the plasterer brush vacuum and add the initial start up chemicals, or did they just plaster and leave? Any type of acid wash applied to expose the Diamond Brite?

The plaster guy left an instruction sheet saying brush 2 times a day for 2 weeks until plaster dust is gone, and run the filter 24/7. They did not do any acid start-up. The plaster dust started going away very very slowly. Unfortunately, a lot of it stuck to my pool plaster. Due to my ignorance, I did not turn on my bottom drain until a week ago since I didn't even know the bottom drain was working. I think it would have helped. But thats after the fact now. I want to see if there is any way to remove the stuck on plaster dust, or if they will go away in a year or 2?

Ph 8.1 (I already added 1 gal of muranic acid last week)
Cya 30
FC 6
TA 100
Thanks for your reply.

In regard to starting up the SWCG, here is a good quote from this thread:

JasonLion said:
...With fresh plaster you almost always want to use trichlor tablets for the first 30 to 45 days.

Most plaster people say not to add salt to the pool for 30 days after plastering.

Keep in mind that fresh plaster will raise the PH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then much more slowly for up to a year. You need to keep an eye on the PH and make sure it never goes over 8.0, and preferably is kept at 7.8 or lower. That may require adding acid as often as twice a day at first.

You should talk to the company that applied the Diamond Brite and ask them what they recommend. They presumably have some kind of warranty and you don't want to do anything that might void the warranty.

You're gonna need to add MA more often than once a week, maybe even daily, depending on your situation. Your pH is too high now, and it does need to come down.

I would wait at least 30 days to add the salt, and 60 would be better. You can add liquid or other until you get your SWCG online, and you will be just fine. Keep an eye on the CYA so that you don't let it get too high in the meantime if you use the pucks.

A fuctcional main drain is a must for a new plaster start-up, especially if there is a lot of plaster dust. I think you are going to be stuck with the stuck on plaster dust. You might want to check with the plaster co to see if an acid wash would do any good.

vp1600 said:
I did not turn on my bottom drain until a week ago since I didn't even know the bottom drain was working. I think it would have helped. But thats after the fact now. I want to see if there is any way to remove the stuck on plaster dust, or if they will go away in a year or 2?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are going to be switching to SWG, get a floater with some tablets. The tablets will help keep the PH in check because they are acidic. They will also slowly add CYA. Stop using tablets when your CYA level hits 60-70. Then use liquid until the SWG is online.

Sorry about the plaster dust. I would discuss it with your plaster co.

More knowledgeable folks - would lowering the PH to 7.0 and brushing like a madman do any good?

Lowering the pH would help, but the plaster company should have done a brush vac a day or two after the pool was filled, and added the initial chemicals. Sometimes, on this type of finish, they will do a light acid wash or in pool acid wash, which it does not sound like was done either. If I read this right, it sounds like they troweled the finish, put the hose in the pool and left. That surprises me, but I guess it could have happened, and it would be very unusual.

simicrintz said:
If I read this right, it sounds like they troweled the finish, put the hose in the pool and left. That surprises me, but I guess it could have happened, and it would be very unusual.
Unfortunately, thats exactly what they did except they left a sheet of instruction which basically said brush the pool twice a day and leave the pump on 24/7 and clean out the filter as needed. Last time I had to replaster was 7 years ago but it was white and the plaster dust sticking to the wall didn't really matter. I will try to lower the ph some more. I added another gallon of MA last night.

vp1600 said:
simicrintz said:
If I read this right, it sounds like they troweled the finish, put the hose in the pool and left. That surprises me, but I guess it could have happened, and it would be very unusual.
Unfortunately, thats exactly what they did except they left a sheet of instruction which basically said brush the pool twice a day and leave the pump on 24/7 and clean out the filter as needed. Last time I had to replaster was 7 years ago but it was white and the plaster dust sticking to the wall didn't really matter. I will try to lower the ph some more. I added another gallon of MA last night.

Your going to be spinning your wheels in trying to lower the PH to have any effect. As mentioned, a no drain acid wash maybe helpful, but I would check with your plaster co. As far as the plaster co throwing in a hose and leaving you with some start-up directions, that is pretty much par for the coarse around here. This situation, is a good example, of where a good pool service (doing your start-up) would have come in handy. I mean the start-up fee (just in itself) would have paid for itself, because a good pool service would have spotted the nonoperational main drain in the first place.
Good luck to you and keep us posted of any changes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.