Jul 9, 2019
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi crew,

Newish pool owner here just starting our second season. Our pool build bridged the winter of 2018-19 so we weren't swimming until June last year.

First year went well using the pool store's instructions. Our first years worth of chemicals were free and my clarity was largely good but for one event which we solved with Burnout 3 and a filter cleansing. Not long after that I discovered TFP and found myself agreeing with the TFP philosophy. Since it was later in the season and I had the inventory of regular pool store chemicals (Smart Shock, Silk Stiks, etc) I figured I'd run out the clock with what I had and start fresh in the spring.

And so here I am, TF-100 test kit in hand, doing a regularly scheduled science experiment much to the delight of my four kids. Test on day one (May 27th) had a FC of 0.5, CC of 0, pH of 6.8, TA of 40, CH of 275, and a CYA of 70.

I had discussed the TFP philosophy with my pool store manager and she was impressed with my knowledge and understanding. She even said I was smart! I asked her to phone my home and tell my wife but she declined.

{I've read a few pool store horror stories around here so I need to step up and say my local pool store is far removed from the greedy, grasping type. When I was browsing their shelves early last year (before my TFP education) I inquired about some "Pool Complete" product and the store owner actively discouraged me from buying any. He said he carries it because some customers demand it but it's not something he recommends. Also when discussing pool vacuums I made inquiries about the Prowler 820 vs 830 and he 'downsold' me on the 820. Instead of milking my wallet he was matter of fact in saying the cheaper model was better value to me. It's a long way of my saying these guys are pretty honest.}

Back to my pool. After discussing my plans to go TFP this year the store manager asked me to try a new product they were 'soft releasing'. Dazzle Chlor Capsules. Chlorine capsules with no stabilizer or other additives from what I can tell. I'm having trouble finding much information online for this product. The only link I can find is from my local pool store. She said they only had four takers so far and she gave me a 50% discount to try them out and share my findings with her.

At any rate, I put three of these capsules in the skimmer along with what turned out to be too much sodium bicarbonate. After 24 hours here were my numbers:
27-May28-May
FC
0.5​
9​
CC
0​
0.5​
TC
0.5​
9.5​
pH
6.8​
7.8​
TA1
40​
220​
CH
275​
325​
CYA
70​
70​

I've tested daily since then and my FC has stayed steady at 9 (one reading of 10). My CYA reading went up but I think it's because I was seeing invisible dots the first few times I did the test. At any rate it's been either 80 or 90.

So what are the expert's thoughts? I'm being told that these Dazzle Chlor Capsules are chlorine only, no CYA or other ingredients. Short term results look good but I'm eager to hear the voices of experience.

Follow up question: on one of the TF 100 tests we're instructed to wipe the bottle tip with a damp cloth after every drop. My kid asked why I had to do that and I don't have an answer. Can anyone enlighten?

Finally a big thanks to the guys who run this community. I've not posted or participated before but I've spent many an enjoyable moment browsing the forum. Time for me to click the Support TFP link methinks.

m.

Welcome to the forum!
The Dazzle Chlor must be compressed Cal Hypo. Chlorine must have something to bind to. For pools, the only logical things are CYA, Calcium, and water. Watch your CH as you are OK now, but do not want to go a lot higher.
The R0009 TA reagent can build up static electricity when very new. Once you you have used the reagent a few times, there is no need to continue to wipe the tip between drops.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP!

Can you post a picture of the capsule's packaging? Specifically there should be somewhere that shows the ingredients that we would be particularly interested in. There's no such thing as solid chlorine without extras. So unless these are chlorine gas capsules (which would probably be banned under the Geneva Convention) there are extras in there.

Welcome to the forum!
The Dazzle Chlor must be compressed Cal Hypo. Chlorine must have something to bind to. For pools, the only logical things are CYA, Calcium, and water. Watch your CH as you are OK now, but do not want to go a lot higher.
The R0009 TA reagent can build up static electricity when very new. Once you you have used the reagent a few times, there is no need to continue to wipe the tip between drops.

And BANG I have my explanation. You guys are good!

Per the Chlor Capsule label: GUARANTEE Calcium hypochlorite 70%
Available chlorine content 70%.

Way ahead of you. Between that link and the Pool School eBook I've spent way more time reliving my University days than I have time for.

Now I just have to figure out how to apply these principles to our hot tub.

m.

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post a picture of the capsule's packaging? Specifically there should be somewhere that shows the ingredients that we would be particularly interested in. There's no such thing as solid chlorine without extras. So unless these are chlorine gas capsules (which would probably be banned under the Geneva Convention) there are extras in there.

Yup, you're right as I noted above. Calcium hypochlorite.

So I'm inferring that, with each capsule, I'm adding calcium as well as chlorine? If my inference is correct, would it explain why my TA jumped so aggressively?

m.

Calcium addition has no effect on TA. TA increased from the addition of baking soda, soda ash, or high TA fill water.

Welcome to the forum!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Would it be accurate to say that, no matter how one chooses to add chlorine, more than just chlorine will be added then? Trichlor - CYA. Cal Hypo - calcium. Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite?) - salt. And if that's the case does ones pool get 'saltier' when it's been chlorinated solely with liquid chlorine?

m.

A pool that is chlorinated with sodium hypochlorite does get 'saltier'. But so do those that use trichlor. It adds salt too.

Salt is of no real consequence to pool water chemistry. Many people. like myself, have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. Very convenient as it adds the chlorine the pool needs every day. Some folks add salt to a pool that they chlorinate with liquid chlorine because they like the 'feel' of the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Would it be accurate to say that, no matter how one chooses to add chlorine, more than just chlorine will be added then? Trichlor - CYA. Cal Hypo - calcium. Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite?) - salt. And if that's the case does ones pool get 'saltier' when it's been chlorinated solely with liquid chlorine?

m.

Yes - but generally it takes a while to get alot of salt from liquid chlorine - in your pool 1 gal of 10% would raise your salt by 8.2 ppm
But it doesn’t take long to build up additives from the others & trichlor has the lovely effect of also being acidic which leads alot of folks to bottom out their ph & ta with blind useage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.