Mexjerry

Mar 5, 2021
Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I'm sure you've heard the story before, fired the pool guy, decided to DIY.
I live in central Mexico, just south of Guadalajara, lots of sun, this time of year, my pool gets about eight hours of direct sun, per day.
I searched five pool stores in my area, not a drop of liquid chlorine, everybody here uses a pool service, they all use granulated chlorine, even with the issues of hard water, I had very bad cal build up, at the water line. Hired my gardener to sand it off, took him four days, this is a 9x22x5 deep pool, with a sand filter. For the last three days, been fighting the green, it started after the cal removal.
As this is Mexico, a Taylor test kit, thru Amazon, is about $400, with import fees, $360 import fee, and the cost of the kit, I've a mule bring me one for the cost, should arrive this week. At this point, I've only the test strips, I know, I know, its all I have.
So, the past three/four days, my schedule has been, coffee and smoke, check the pool, still green, brush, let settle, brush again, vacuum to waste, rinse, filter, let it run for several hours, pump off, let settle, check, still green,brush, back flush, rinse, let pump run for several hours, shut pump off, let settle, check, less green,brush, add floculent, run pump 1/2 hour, let settle, next day, vacuum to waste, rinse, add DE, run pump, filtering for several hours, back flush, rinse, filter, run pump for several hours, vacuum, back flush, rinse. So today, this afternoon, it's looking very good, the best I've seen in a week.
At some point I did add over a gallon of 6% clorox, my test strips show a high amount of free chlorine. I know my CYA is very high, the test strips show as 250, I've been adding water, as needed, the rainy season is coming, sometime in June, hopefully, I am able to limp along till then, in order to do a massive water change out.
Ok, enough for now.
Thanks for the time

Jerry, welcome to TFP, we're glad to help in anyway we can. We have a few members there in Mexico, so I'm going to ask one how they've managed- @Flying Tivo

Does your Clorox say "cloramax technology" on the jug? Are you entirely limited in water for change out?

A half gallon of plain bleach (no scents, thickeners, ect) per day and brushing the pool until your test kit arrives will help slow things down.

Once the kit comes tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Have you considered a salt water chlorine generator??

Maddie :flower:

The brand is Clorolex, green bottle, as an side, bought three gallons yesterday, less than $2.00 a gallon, sorry, just had to rub it in.
This morning's check, looks better than before, some green remains, so the ritual will continue.
As far as water change out, as it evaporates, I add via the garden hose, which comes from the aljibe, an undergound water storage tank, that gets the water from the community well. The other option for changing the water, in larger amounts, is a water truck, my neighbor had well water issues, about five days ago, he talked to the people in charge, when he noticed, they are supposed to come today, to find the issue, he had a truck deliver water for the house, pool and such. I've had the same issue, no water from the well, called a truck, ok, we'll be there at 5 PM, ha, didn't ask which day, they came three days later, said they had truck problems. Kinda hesitant for that reason to drain and refill.

Yes!! Just Googled the product. Thats Sodium Hypochloride. I don't see a strength so you're going to have to play around with it. Assume 6% strength, then using Pool Math use it in your pool and then double check an hour later (with pump running) to see if you've met your goal level. If not, it may be weaker. If overage, it may be stronger.

LUCKY YOU! $2 Can't be beat!!

Maddie :flower:

Somebody else in Mexico had old skool plain Clorox last year. Evidentally they still make it there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just the 21.
21078. The 078 th day of 21

Today is the 90th day of the year so 21090.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.