Newby: First water test

Looks pretty good actually. We would round-up the CYA to 40 which means FC should be between 5-7, so you can let it drop slightly. Never below 3 though. :) Low CH doesn't matter with your vinyl pool. Because you use well water, there is a tendency to have iron in that water, so you'll want to keep the pH lower. I'd recommend about 7.4-7.5. If you find the pH climbs really fast day by day, then lower the TA as well following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Maybe try for a TA goal of about 70-80 and see if that helps. Once pH stays steady, you can leave the TA alone. They work together that way. If pH (and/or FC) gets too high with iron water, it will cause the metal to precipitate out causing stains and turn the water green or brown. Other than that, looking good. :goodjob:

Looks good to me, you might eventually want to bring that TA down but I wouldn't worry about it yet. And call your CYA 40 (round up to next multiple of 10) :)

How's the water look?

Thank you guys for the responses! @Mr. Bruce the water looks great! @ Texas Splash I had my water tested by the local pool store and they said that I had 0 ppm iron or copper. @ kimkats so far I've added chlorine pucks, conditioner, and have shocked my pool three times using 2lbs per treatment all at the recommendation of the pool store.

If I were you I'd stay out of the pool store. None of the things you've added are things we use on any regular basis. You are lucky your water is in good shape, I really recommend reading the links Kim posted, especially the second one. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Please let us know if anything in the links doesn't make sense :)

That's why I am here Mr.Bruce! The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there. Which honestly I thought was kinda funny,but never the less decided to do a little research and that's when I found TFP!

The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there.
dbtgallery.php

Yep, very common. The bad advice, not the arguing. That IS funny. :grin: Stick with us and the links you see above and in our sigs and you'll be in much better shape. Find a place in CA that offers regular/plain bleach at a good price and you'll be on your way. Got more questions? We've got answers. :)

If you are lowering ph, muriatic acid is better. Dry acid adds extra "stuff".

A ph of 7.8 is fine, but if you are ready to lower TA then dropping ph (and therefore TA) is fine.

I would recommend aiming for 7.4 or 7.5 if this is your first time adding acid. You don't want to over-shoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.