Newby: First water test

I just completed my first test on my new pool with my Taylor k 2006 test kit. I welcome any tips or info that you all willing to provide.

8-free chlorine
0-combined chlorine
7.8- ph
140- total alkalinity
50- calcium hardness
37- CYA

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Looks pretty good actually. We would round-up the CYA to 40 which means FC should be between 5-7, so you can let it drop slightly. Never below 3 though. :) Low CH doesn't matter with your vinyl pool. Because you use well water, there is a tendency to have iron in that water, so you'll want to keep the pH lower. I'd recommend about 7.4-7.5. If you find the pH climbs really fast day by day, then lower the TA as well following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Maybe try for a TA goal of about 70-80 and see if that helps. Once pH stays steady, you can leave the TA alone. They work together that way. If pH (and/or FC) gets too high with iron water, it will cause the metal to precipitate out causing stains and turn the water green or brown. Other than that, looking good. :goodjob:

Mar 24, 2014
Greenville, SC
Looks good to me, you might eventually want to bring that TA down but I wouldn't worry about it yet. And call your CYA 40 (round up to next multiple of 10) :)

How's the water look?

OP
OP
K
Thank you guys for the responses! @Mr. Bruce the water looks great! @ Texas Splash I had my water tested by the local pool store and they said that I had 0 ppm iron or copper. @ kimkats so far I've added chlorine pucks, conditioner, and have shocked my pool three times using 2lbs per treatment all at the recommendation of the pool store.

OP
OP
K
That's why I am here Mr.Bruce! The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there. Which honestly I thought was kinda funny,but never the less decided to do a little research and that's when I found TFP!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there.

Yep, very common. The bad advice, not the arguing. That IS funny. :grin: Stick with us and the links you see above and in our sigs and you'll be in much better shape. Find a place in CA that offers regular/plain bleach at a good price and you'll be on your way. Got more questions? We've got answers. :)

Mar 24, 2014
Greenville, SC
If you are lowering ph, muriatic acid is better. Dry acid adds extra "stuff".

A ph of 7.8 is fine, but if you are ready to lower TA then dropping ph (and therefore TA) is fine.

I would recommend aiming for 7.4 or 7.5 if this is your first time adding acid. You don't want to over-shoot.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the outside area and make sure it is the 31% stuff.

Use care and wear eye protection. Try to be up wind as the fumes are nasty. Store the MA away from any chlorine and metal.

Kim:kim: