Newbs First TF-100 Test Results

Dolfan

May 30, 2018
Central Florida
Hello all,

First of all let me thank everyone in advance for their feedback. I just received my TF-100 test kit and this is my first test. Here are the results.
FC-0.5
CC-0.5
pH-7.8
TA-110
CH-350
CYA-80
Salt-4600
Temp-84degrees
CSI-.13

Heres a little background. I installed a new SWG 3 weeks ago. I wasn't getting any chlorine readings on the test strips. I took it to my local pool store and they said my phosphates were high. I follow the instructions and after 2 rounds of treating and cleaning my DE filter it was deemed phosphate free. (I found this website after this happened). I started to get some chlorine production but it swings wildly. This test was done this morning about an hour after the pump turned on. I was planning to do another test right when the pump turns off today and then do an overnight test. We have had tons of rain here in Central Florida. I have had to let large quantities of water out of the pool twice in the past 2 weeks. I also think I might have some black algae spots. I am going to do the fingernail test on a sheet of paper later today. Also last thing, I called the SWG manufacturer and they did a trouble shoot with me over the phone and all the reading codes came back within range. I apologize for maybe too much info but I wanted to paint as complete of a picture as possible. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!

You most likely have organics consuming the chlorine that the SWCG is generating.

Add enough LC now to get your FC to 20% of CYA (16 ppm FC). Tonight, turn your SWCG off. Test your FC after the sun goes down. Leave the pool pump on low overnight (SWCG off!). Before the sun hits the pool in the morning, test your FC. If you lose 1 ppm FC or more, you will need to SLAM Process.

How does your water look?

So I did the overnight tests and here are the results....

At 9pm
FC-16.5
CC-0.5
PH-8.2

At 6am
FC-9.5
CC.-0.5 or 1.0 (Need to learn to trust myself when its clear)
PH-7.9
TA-120
CYA-75

I see that I have a SLAM coming. My biggest surprise is that the CC wasn't higher. Considering such a huge drop in the numbers shouldn't the CC also be high or is that an error in my assuming that? Also any and all advice on the SLAM is appreciated. I will go read that page now so I can get ready for it.

Thanks!

With slam. Persistence is key. Lower PH TO 7.2 with MA per pool math figures. Be prepared with your CYA level to hold FC to 31. Swg off. Once you start the slam ignore ph readings until you are finished as anything over FC of 10 could give false readings. The more you can test and add chlorine to bring it back up to slam levels the quicker you will get through the slam and pass the three tests. Remember to brush daily if possible to mix water and break the film on the algae. Run pump 24/7

Sounds good. Thank you!
You will love the simplicity of keeping your pool sparkling clear and clean once you get past this process. Especially with a SWG. In the meantime calculate your bleach slam needs for your pool and make sure you have plenty on hand. Target PH of 7.4 to begin with and retest in 30 minutes. If you are 7.2 - 7.4 SLAM Away..

Im running to Lowes now. I appreciate the help. Its been so frustrating having a new SWG that had minimal levels of chlorine showing. The real head scratcher was that the pool is clear outside of a few black algae spots. It has been a real eye opener reading through here over the past few days. I will post here when the SLAM is done. Thank you again!

Yeah. Algae looooves FC, until you keep up slam levels for long enough you are just teasing and Feeding the algae beast. Algae needs to be over- fed and stuffed to the point of exploding into Oblivion to kill it effectively.

Pardon the metaphors.

As you proceed through the SLAM if retesting and adding chlorine back to slam levels every hour is possible early on usually helps speed the process. As you proceed you will notice you can test less often without FC dropping as much. Ignore the other tests until you are finished with SLAM. Just concentrate on keeping FC at slam levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: I have bought enough bleach at Walmart to make them suspicious. It didn't help that when the cashier commented on all the bleach I was buying my response was to tell her 'it takes a lot to get rid of the evidence'.

In all seriousness, the pool is really coming along. I think I will be done in the next day or two. Tops. As far as the black algae, I am starting to suspect I do not have any. It might be some other stain. They are all along the deep end of the pool and nothing on the walls. Almost like something fell in and rolled to the deep end. I swear when I look at them that some look a bit brown... Is my assumption correct? If it was black algae there would be SOME on the walls etc? Not just in the middle of the deep end? Also they are all perfect little circles same size...

So here’s the test. Perform the Overnight drop test. As long as your water is clear Clear water and no CC and a drop over night of 1.0 or less you are good to go. Here is the procedure for the OCLT test.

To perform the overnight FC loss test:
  1. If you have an SWG, tablet chlorinator, or other chlorine feeder, shut it off completely.
  2. After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day, test your water for FC using the FAS-DPD test making sure your FC level is at least above 3ppm.
  3. Record that result. Do not put any more chlorine in your pool.
  4. The next morning, as early as practical and definitely before there is any direct sunlight on the pool, perform the FAS-DPD FC test again and record the result.

If your FC level remained the same, or went down by 1.0 or less, the water is clean. There isn't any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.

If you lost more than 1.0 ppm of FC, then there is something in the water that needs to be removed and you should SLAM, or continue SLAMing, the pool.

Update! SLAM is complete and the pool looks amazing. Im just letting the FC come down on its own now. While I was going through the process I decided that I was going to add boric acid to the pool after reading several posts and articles here. I placed my order from Duda and it was here in 3 days. It was also much cheaper than 20 Mule and MA. Here's the funny part.... I was sitting here and I started wondering if the previous owners might've done the same thing and added borate (doubtful) and I figured it would be a good idea to test the water and make sure I don't over do it. So I call my 2 local pool stores and ask if they had borate test strips. The first store, I ask if they have it. Guy puts down the phone and asks someone next to him if they had BRORATE test strips. I hear mumbles and he comes back on and says yes they have bromine tests. I thank him and hang up. I called the second store. I ask if they have it. They ask what that is. I explain that Im adding boric acid and want to test for it. She's never heard of it and asks me why I would do such a thing. I thank her for her time. I went back to my computer and ordered the test strips from TFTESTKITS.NET. Lesson learned... My wife was sitting next to me and muttered she was glad I found this website. That there is the ultimate endorsement! Thank you all for your help!!

I have added Boric Acid as well. Subjectively I think the water is softer and glimmers more. I can tell you that everyone says the pool looks amazing. I am still fooling with my TA and PH to find a. Better balance in rising PH. I need to be home a few days to see as it creeps to 7.8 whether it goes on above it. I will say I do not regret the BA addition even if it doesn’t stabilize PH like I hoped

Great to hear about your success in clearing your pool!

We are glad you have found our information helpful and have saved money over the pool store and their sales. If you can, please consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keep the forum operating without advertisements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.