Dec 10, 2012
We are almost finished with our pool build and I would like to take care of the pool myself. I ordered a TF-100 test kit and am wondering what I should do first? Test my tap water? I am in Dallas TX and we are not doing a salt pool. Thanks in advance.

Welcome! :wave:

NDallasModPool said:
We are almost finished with our pool build and I would like to take care of the pool myself. I ordered a TF-100 test kit and am wondering what I should do first? Test my tap water? I am in Dallas TX and we are not doing a salt pool. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, test the tap water except for CYA, since you won't have any in tap water. Then you'll have an idea if you'll need anything to raise pH (Borax) or TA (Baking Soda) or if it's just going to be acid, bleach, and stabilizer. That's all my pool uses - and I get the stabilizer when I use pucks while I'm out of town, so I've never actually had to buy plain cyanuric acid.

You can also amuse yourself by shopping for the best deal on bleach. Sometimes it ends up cheaper buying "liquid shock" aka "pool Chlorine" from a pool store rather than bleach. Sometimes the opposite is true.
bleach-prices-2013-t58266.html
cost-comparison-of-chlorine-sources-t1859.html

DFW has varying levels of CH throughout the year and depending on source. Knowing the CH of your fill water can help you prevent high CH in the future.

There will be chlorine in there, although it is usually in the form of CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.