Mar 26, 2017
Mandeville, LA
Hey everyone. I'm a relatively new pool owner. Made a spur of the moment decision middle of last summer and got above ground pool. No idea what i was doing but pool was pretty good using pool store chemicals and basic testing strips. I realized quickly that the pump/filter that came with pool wasn't strong enough and upgraded at the end of last season. I have been reading the forums here for a few months now with great interest and got my taylor k 2006 kit last week and have switched to the tfp method. My first testing revealed following:

FC - 9.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 150
CH - 130
CYA - 90

First off, should i even worry about calcium hardness with my pool type? Second, with cya higher than i want it (i stopped using shock and stabilized chlorine tablets last week), how long before this degrades on its own? I plan to keep FC at about 10 for now. Thanks for any advice u guys can give.

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't worry about the CH. Low CH is "N/A" for your vinyl. As you may already know from the Chlorine/CYA Chart reference, the CYA of 90 will require an elevated FC to compensate. Just keep the FC within those ranges and you should be okay. Remember that when the FC is over 10, it will skew your pH and make it read (falsely) high.

The CYA will slowly drop, but it depends on the amount of water exchanges (sand filter will help), splashout, and some CYA will slowly degrade over the summer (perhaps about 2ppm per month or so). Be vigilant with the FC and you should get by. If things seem hard to manage, you could always exchange about 1/4 of your water to bring it down a bit.

Good job getting the proper test kit! Great to have you with us.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about trying what another person posted and instead of draining water, just add it to bottom of pool and let it drain over side for a couple of hours. Everything looks great so i didn't want to mess up chemistry by changing water too much. Plus with such a small pool, the chlorine is pretty cheap to add daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.