Newbie with questions

DHutton

May 25, 2020
Wisconsin
Hi everyone-
So thankful we found TFP!
I’m attempting to do our pool solo this year and would appreciate some thoughts.

In ground pool - 30k gallons
I started the SLAM process 5 days ago and am getting concerned that our water is still cloudy/murky.
We’ve been diligently vacuuming debris daily as we have quite a bit from winter.
Backwashing filter consistently
I ordered my test kit and Have been using our local pool store and Insta test 6plus strips to test the water daily until I get the kit.
I’ve been keeping FC consistent at 10
CYA has been low ~10

What else should I be doing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum!
What test kit did you order? The test strips and pool store tests are just making you spin your wheels.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Also, do your best to remove as much solid debris from the pool as possible. The chlorine is working to oxidize it instead of the algae.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I don't see a pH reading. If it's high (7.8 or higher), lower it to 7.2 with muriatic acid and continue the SLAM process.

Make sure you're brushing a couple times a day to remove any algae that may be clinging to the walls and bottom. Your shock level with your CYA at 25(call it 30) should be 12 ppm. Test your pool several times a day and redose back to 12 to keep killing the remaining algae. Make sure your pump is on 24/7 until the pool is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.