Newbie with cloudy water

Jun 10, 2020
Cecil County Maryland
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New to pools this year and so far everything’s been perfect but after a very rainy weekend things changed. The water was still clear and levels were good but there was this greenish stuff on the bottom( assuming algae). My vacuum is Crud and I don’t have a brush so I got in with some clean socks and scrub the pool lol!!! Ran the filter all night, changed it this morning and it was completely green. Last nights cl was 4. This morning only 1.5. Cya is 35. I think I should Slam right? But I only have a HTH kit and I can’t buy another right now. How can I check cl levels high enough to Slam(if I understand Slam correctly). Advice please!

Attachments

• AF3E663C-47E1-458A-9A35-545238A11B78.jpeg
    AF3E663C-47E1-458A-9A35-545238A11B78.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 13
  • B6FB18A5-78FC-4D87-AE32-709B0C6B3FED.jpeg
    B6FB18A5-78FC-4D87-AE32-709B0C6B3FED.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 13
You will struggle without a FAS-DPD test. How did you test your CYA?

Remember, wasted chlorine will pay for a test kit.

If you absolutely decide to not get the proper test kit, dilute the pool water sample with distilled water. Test the FC and do your best. As you need a SLAM level FC of 16 ppm, you will need to dilute the sample by 3 parts distilled to 1 part pool.

It is not likely you will be successful.

Do not swim during this process as you will not know what your FC is, accurately.

I’m NEW! I was told in another thread that my test kit is not adequate. I didn’t know this before buying it as I had not join this forum yet. I did buy a separate CYA test kit after understanding how important it is but now my water is cloudy and my HTH kit can’t help me slam. Could I buy this separate Taylor FAS-DPD kit and have what I need? All these kits together will end up being the same $ as 1 good Taylor kit. I know that now but I’d like to not have to rebuy stuff I already have for this season. Thanks

Attachments

• 981892FF-2247-462C-A8A3-83D2FFEA07AB.jpeg
    981892FF-2247-462C-A8A3-83D2FFEA07AB.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 14
Welcome! I made the same mistake of buying some incorrect test kit stuff when I recently started up my pool. It happens. You could probably supplement what you have with that FAS-DPD kit in your link, but at $35 you're already halfway to the price of a full TF-100 test kit, which is what most of the folks on here know and trust. I understand why you wouldn't want to replace things you already have, but if I were you I'd just bite the bullet and get the TF-100. Your HTH kit probably won't go to waste. Once you get your pool stabilized and get a sense of accurate the HTH is compared to the TF-100, chances are you'll still be able to use it interchangeably with the TF-100 to do daily maintenance chemical checks.

Ok. No reason to be smart about it.
I came here from your other thread so I could see which test kit you were using. With respect (and welcome to the forum), I didn't interpret Marty's reply as snarky in any way. He is remarkably patient and helpful with newcomers, as is pretty much everyone I've encountered on here. I've learned a lot from them, and I'm sure you will too. Please take advice in the positive spirit which is intended.

EDIT: Doh, wrong thread. But you get the idea.

but I’ve been fine with the HTH kit for over a month until now
HTH kits come in handy in a pinch. They are better than test strips, and perhaps better than pool store testing. No worries. As I can see from the posts flowing in quickly, you'll there is no shortage of folks available to help. I would recommend the TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) when you get a chance. They last much longer and are very reliable. Welcome to the forum. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.