Newbie who just brought back a 27 yr old pool to life and now afraid I maybe shouldn't have

I didn’t realize how deep the basins are. I think lack of circulation in the basins with stagnant water on the bottom losing its CL and developing algae. Water hits the top of the water in a basin and overflows but does not turn over the water in the bottom.

I would fill in the basins so they are just saucers for water to fall on and overflow.
Holy cow.... I think you just helped solve the algae mystery that’s plagued this pool for years and years. Now that I think about it, you’re absolutely correct. Those basins fill up with so much water and it just sits there, even when the waterfall is on! They builder should have put return jets at the bottom of each of these basins to inject fresh return water and to push it up so it will overflow into the next basin. That HAS to be the reason why this pool would always get algae. Even with an appropriate amount of chlorine level, as soon as the waterfall is off and it sits, that chlorine wears off in the water in the basins and when it gets turned back on and if/when that water eventually makes it into the pool, it has the algae.

Now I’m just going to have to play with it to make sure I can still fill up the basins with concrete but still create a good waterfall flow effect. One of the top basins is very long and wide because it has water coming from 2 sides. I wish they made some sort of temporary waterproof clay that I could plug this thing up and to see how the water will flow with smaller basins.

Try some thick plastic sheets that you can cut and shape and duct tape to hold it in place to experiment with different shapes to fill the basins.

Try some thick plastic sheets that you can cut and shape and duct tape to hold it in place to experiment with different shapes to fill the basins.

Good idea. Any thoughts on the what I should use to actually fill it up? I’ve used hydraulic cement on other projects, but that’s not really pourable and it sets so quick. I’ve always used it on small patch jobs that I need to keep water tight.

Good idea. Any thoughts on the what I should use to actually fill it up? I’ve used hydraulic cement on other projects, but that’s not really pourable and it sets so quick. I’ve always used it on small patch jobs that I need to keep water tight.

@bdavis466 @MinerJason materials to fill up the basins on his waterfall?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.