Newbie to troublefreepool

Pshumphreys

Jun 27, 2021
Jackson, Ohio
Hi, I suddenly have high pH and alkalinity showing in my pool. I was gone for 10 days and I don’t think the hubby checked the pool.
we swam Saturday and my two blonde family members ended up with green hair !
I searched all day for problems (never had trouble till this week - I am a lab tech and a 2 year pool owner) and remembered I bought a copper sulfate contraption that was supposed to help keep the pool better regulated.
I pulled it out and added muriatic acid (used up to a gallon diluted and test strip shows pH is better but alkalinity is still high and free chlorine too (not too worried about that) and I know alkalinity will eventually come down but I don’t like unbalance water.
Should I use pH down or more muriatic acid dilution solution ?

Welcome to the forum!
If the copper level is high enough to cause green hair, you should consider doing a sizable drain and refill to reduce the copper levels.
It is best to use muriatic acid to lower pH. How are you testing your pool water chemistry? Test strips are not acceptable to provide any guidance.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome! Here at TFP we don’t like “contraptions” like the one you had as they often lead to more issues down the line. Our focus is science based, using a good test kit (FAS-DPD drop based, no strips), and only adding what’s needed.

Follow along and we’ll help you maintain your pool crystal clear with no green hair. Mine looks like this throughout the entire year:
full