Newbie Thinking of slamming

DJP303

Jun 10, 2020
New Jersey
Hi All, been following and reading a lot over the last 4 years here, but have decided to sign up and take things more seriously. I had read thoroughly the pool school and slam technique then ordered a TF100 which was just received today. In the past I have just been using 73% cal-hypo and chlorine pucks, but I’ve been picking up liquid chlorine the last week. My main concern is I would like to slam, but under non-pandemic times I usually travel about 10 days or so a month and will not be home to test and do liquid chlorination those days. Is it still worth it for me to slam since I won’t always be here? Is there a way to maintain chlorination while I am away? In the past I just made sure I dumped a bag of cal-hypo and filled up the floating chlorinator with pucks before leaving for the week. Any advice is appreciated!

Let’s start by using that shiny new test kit and giving us your test results :) Filling out your signature will help too, with your pool type / equipment / etc. :)

Let’s start by using that shiny new test kit and giving us your test results :) Filling out your signature will help too, with your pool type / equipment / etc. :)
Thanks, I did fill out my signature so I’m not sure why it isn’t showing 🤷‍♂️. I just checked my profile and it does show my signature. It is a 22k gallon IG plaster pool with a pentair 3/4hp pump and a Hayward DE filter. I did a test run of some of the test yesterday just for a little practice, but I will post some official results today.

Reactions: splashpad
...but under non-pandemic times I usually travel about 10 days or so a month and will not be home to test and do liquid chlorination those days...
Are these all at once or spread throughout the month?

The SLAM Process definitely needs to be attended to daily. So you can get your test results and then get your pool moving towards chemical balance before being gone at least!

Are these all at once or spread throughout the month?

The SLAM Process definitely needs to be attended to daily. So you can get your test results and then get your pool moving towards chemical balance before being gone at least!
So right now I’m not traveling at all so I have the time to devote to the process, but I may start traveling again in July. When I travel, I usually leave Monday morning and return sometime that Friday and that’s usually about twice per month.

So right now I’m not traveling at all so I have the time to devote to the process, but I may start traveling again in July. When I travel, I usually leave Monday morning and return sometime that Friday and that’s usually about twice per month.
Okie dokie!! Well a properly carried out SLAM Process should not take all month (on a pool that is NOT green currently). ;)
Once you are keeping your pool TFP-balanced, you can even "cheat" and raise your FC to mustard SLAM level for your CYA, when you leave and *should* come home to some FC, but immediately raise your FC to proper maintenance level when you return! It's sort of roulette (and not the desired proper maintenance, but personal schedules can be accommodated). We've taken vacation for over 10 days straight and come back to clear pool ready for us to be home!

Okie dokie!! Well a properly carried out SLAM Process should not take all month (on a pool that is NOT green currently). ;)
Once you are keeping your pool TFP-balanced, you can even "cheat" and raise your FC to mustard SLAM level for your CYA, when you leave and *should* come home to some FC, but immediately raise your FC to proper maintenance level when you return! It's sort of roulette (and not the desired proper maintenance, but personal schedules can be accommodated). We've taken vacation for over 10 days straight and come back to clear pool ready for us to be home!
Thanks, that is good to hear. I will post my test results later today if the rain holds off, but the water is pretty clear as of now. I also have a solar cover I can put on prior to leaving to help prevent burn off from the sun and evaporation.

Reactions: splashpad
Thanks, that is good to hear. I will post my test results later today if the rain holds off, but the water is pretty clear as of now. I also have a solar cover I can put on prior to leaving to help prevent burn off from the sun and evaporation.
Perfect and when I was mentioning FC & CYA levels, I was referencing the info in this FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: DJP303
Here are my test results:

FC- 3.5
CC- 0.0
PH- either 7.2 or 7.4
TA- 90
CYA- 30
CH- this one is tough. It is coming up as 1000, but I don’t have any clouding or scaling that I can see so I’m not sure if something is off. I tried the test twice and both times came back with that result. 40 drops x 25.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.