Newbie... Sorry ;-)

did check with colorq, cya 47... i will do tests tomorrow again ;-)

can it be that fc goes down when you increase cya that much? would make sense to me after reading the chemical relation of the 2

Rats! My first error of 2020. :hammer: I had my own calculator pool volume wrong when doing your math earlier. So to increase the CYA by 30 ppm was only about 114 liquid ounces. Sorry to throw you off earlier. But yes, let what you added earlier today mix and take a new CYA tomorrow. We'll go from there.

soooo.... did it again... can you see my pool math app data? i opted to share but dont see it... today used both colorq and taylor, taylor 3 people, 2 tries each with cya outside against the sun...

FC: 2.0-2.4 (after adding 1.4l of 10.5% bleach yesterday and have the SWG again run overnight @50%)
CYA: 42-46 (after adding the 2.8l liquid 25% cyanuric acid stabilizer 2 days ago)

that is all far away from my expectations and the pool is slightly hazy/cloudy... according to cya / fc chart the relation is off, so that might be the haze. but why the heck does all the adding chemicals have no effect at all?

guys, I NEED HELP ;-)

It does indeed sound like you are losing too much chlorine. Your thread is getting longer so I don't recall. Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test yet? I would do that this evening if you can (SWG off of course) and report back to see if a SLAM Process is warranted.

Hi Guys, did the Over Night Test, no chlorine left today... K-2006 didn't even turn pink after 4 scoops of powder, ColorQ said 0.12. So yes, there is something eating chlorine! I think I am in for a SLAM... The only thing that makes me wonder is that even before now, I never experienced high CC levels, neither with ColorQ nor K2006...

Process:

1) I think I need to get the CYA from 50 to 70 which means adding 0.6 gallons. Do I test this before SLAM or just assume that the App is right. Should I add chlorine upfront to not make the pool "die" while adjusting CYA due to the fact its out of chlorine now?
2) Add bleach (hope I get enough, COVID made it hard to buy more than 2 jugs here at one time) until I am around 28ppm FC and keep it there. Is standard bleach from walmart ok?

THANKS!!!

A SLAM Process is certainly warranted, but do not increase the CYA at this time. If you do, you'll need a higher SLAM FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Keep the CYA at 50 so that your FC level is "20". Make sure to lower the pH to 7.2 if not already done so. For liquid chlorine, try places like Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowe's. If you use bleach, make sure it's regular/plain - nothing scented, splashless, and avoid the Clorox brand completely. It is important to maintain that FC of 20 during the entire SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria. Review that page daily and let us know if you have any questions or problems. Good luck!

1) CYA 50 ok even though I have a Salt Pool?
2) Guys, you are plain simply amazing!! Will Update the page constantly... Now out to try and get chlorine ;-)
3) How often do you test
4) what do you recommend during the 1st/ 2nd night? (ok to not test/add for 8h?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, a CYA of 50 is fine for a SLAM. You'll increase the FC to 20. You will add chlorine, let it mix well for about 30 minutes then re-test again and increase it back to 20 as needed. After that, you will test the FC only as needed to ensure you are maintaining the FC of 20 consistently. It may be once an hour at first, then it will be longer and longer between tests as your water begins to hold FC better. You'll start to see a pattern. You may only need to test and increase the FC 3-4 times per day. There is no need to test FC in the middle of the night. Get your rest. Once you wake up, you'll increase the FC back to 20 as needed and continue with another SLAM day.

During the SLAM, it is very important to do all the things on the page. Brush daily and inspect ANYTHING that can hold algae. If you have a ladder that can be removed, remove it. If you have a large light with a niche behind it, pull the light out (power OFF). Hollow steps as well. Things like that if they apply. Good luck!

Hope that stuff does the job? Seems “fairly” fresh... today is day 150, stuff is 118... so a month old... should I assume 10% or better just a little less?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mdragger88
A month is fine so long as it wasn't kept out in the hot sun. 10% is what you should plan on. You can always add it, let mix about 15 minutes, and test if you want to verify but it probably isn't needed unless the SLAM goes nowhere.

Basically turn off the SWG (it won't chip in enough to help during a SLAM anyway) and follow all instructions as if you were not a SWG pool in the SLAM process. Once the SLAM is done and you're 100% sure you have nothing growing, you can bump up the CYA and start using the SWG again. :)

Should be fine, just run it constantly. You want the water to be good and mixed.

If the water is really clear but not passing OCLT, make sure you check for any hidden spots of algae, like light niches, ladders, skimmer throats/weir doors, etc. :)

Checking hidden spots was an important advice, ladder steps where slammed with goo...
Good job! :goodjob: That right there can save a lot of SLAM time. Very good. Now just do your best to maintain that FC SLAM level and enjoy your weekend. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.