Newbie robotic question??

Aug 28, 2013
Oxford, MD 21654
I am very excited to have found this site a couple of months ago. We just had a Viking fiberglass pool installed in August. The model is the Cancun which is approximately 14000 gallons, 16 by 35 and 6 ½ feet in the deep end. The installer was great and really did not try to “up sell” us on any options with questions we had. I the mean time with all of the landscaping and the pool have needed continuous cleaning. I’ve been vacuuming the “old fashion way”…lol and I’m already tired of it. The installer will be returning in a week to winterize and install the cover.
My question is now about robotic cleaners??? With a fiberglass pool can I get away with one that stays on the bottom? Or do I need one that climbs?
all feedback is greatly appreciated

Here are a couple of pictures of the pool....being installed and finished.

gQdDf6jV1ethGR2qOGdTog88Yoz76lf0hNP7nGgzUA0=w368-h207-p-no

o3IO4LMQjb9AQ9BmEFQh0nKhp8IzUa3CKgh8_duWBm8=w368-h207-p-no

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

That lip about 16" or so off the pool bottom will probably make it tough for a robot to climb over that. I suggest that wall climbing is probably not a good option.

Easy enough to brush off the horizontal surface of that lip and the steps and let the robot pick up any debris off the pool floor.

Any thoughts on a model
I currently have a nice working Dolphin Premier but it's a wall climber unless you purchase the remote. I also think it's a bit overkill for your pool.

Others will be along to suggest something soon. You will pay for cleaning power so size your robot to your pool. I would think something around $750 or so will get you what you want..

^I don't know...I bought a Dolphin M4 Supreme this year and it easily climbs my wall areas and bottom stairs and the funny shaped angles...it might be able to handle that ledge. See if a dealer will let you "try it before you buy it." Mine did, and I've been delighted with this model.

Reactions: sundaze
I never thought about a trial. I guess i'll have to ask.
When I bought the pool the company salesman talked me out of a cleaner.....
His reason was that a fiberglass pool is very easy to keep clean once the water is balanced correctly.
He recommended bi-weekly brushing and hand vacuuming when there is sediment on the bottom.
He also showed me how to add DE to my sand filter.....

LOL. Keeping the pool clean has more to do with the environment (I see you have nearby trees) than what TYPE of pool. So to me, that's a bizarre comment.

Does he think earthworms after a rain will only check out NON-fiberglass pools...or that pollen, gypsy moths, and maple leaves are discriminating?

I suspect he dissuaded you from robotic cleaning because he sold you a free-form shape that would be difficult to automate -- which is true, but I think there are some types, like mine, that might work.

I would definitely ask to try them out first though, then watch to see if it can make the wall. Best wishes -- IME you won't regret a bot. I don't know how I lived without mine ;)

My M4 climbs the first step of my walkout so I think there's a good chance it will make it over the ledge in your pool and continue to the waterline. Even so, you'll still have to brush the ledge surface and, with all the curves, there are many parts of the wall that probably won't be reached. My dealer let me try the cleaner for a weekend before I bought it. Try to find a dealer that will do the same. Your PB gave you bad advice regarding the cleaner. You definitely need one as you will soon find out. With only bi-weekly brushing your pool will never be clean except right after you vacuum. Your pool looks very nice by the way. It will look even better when sparkling clean.

I liked the fact that the PB never tried selling an automatic cleaner from the start…and when I asked about them his answer was “try without you can always buy on later”….
But in the short time the pool has been complete the whole manual vacuuming has been a pain…the dirt and worms from after a rain…...I am pretty picky so I know next season I will want the pool as clean as possible…I know I will always have to brush the pool because of all the ledges but I don’t mind……It’s the vacuuming I don’t want to do often. Until then I will read about robots…and hopefully someone with a similar pool design will chime in with their experience…..then I will see if I can trial a robot in the spring before I buy. I don’t want to buy a unit that climbs if it won’t in this pool…
Please keep the opinions coming…..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.