Newbie question on Skimmers and Polaris Pool Cleaner

brentj77

Apr 18, 2020
Washington State
Hi, I am a new pool owner trying to figure things out. The site is very helpful. I have two questions and some pictures.

1. I have two skimmers that have shut off valves and a main that has no shut off. Should I always keep both skimmers wide open all the time?
2. I have a polaris pool cleaner. There are ports beneath each skimmer to plug it in and a booster pump that I turn on to operate it. When running that should I shut off the opposite skimmer valve?

Thanks in advance for your help.

20200418_091758.jpg
20200418_091816.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Welcome to TFP.

1 - Yes

2 - Skimmers have no effect on a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump. A pressure cleaner runs off return water, not suction.

I don’t understand why you have two connections for the Polaris cleaner. Is there a quick disconnect fitting on both?

brentj77

Apr 18, 2020
Washington State
Welcome to TFP.

1 - Yes

2 - Skimmers have no effect on a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump. A pressure cleaner runs off return water, not suction.

I don’t understand why you have two connections for the Polaris cleaner. Is there a quick disconnect fitting on both?
I was mistaken. There is only one connection for the Polaris. Thanks for the reply.

TTWB

Jul 14, 2019
Annapolis, MD
I have similar set up.
1 - I balance the two skimmers so the flow is equal. In my system the one skimmer that is farter away from the pump is weaker. So the closer skimmer I do not open full and balance the load - by eye sight and rate at which chlorine tabs dissolve.
2 I agree with ajw22