Newbie Paver Question

olag25

May 31, 2012
I bought a 22' Ultra Frame Intex Pool and after alot of general internet searching started the leveling process. Unfortunately I didn't find this site or good info before I started and I did a few things I probably shouldn't have.
1. I used a rototiller to help clear some of the area. Fortunately, the grass was to vine like so only got the outer right foot of the square space.
2. I did a little lowering but spent alot more time trying to do area raising.

Now from some things I've seen I think I should only lower instead of build up, especially where the legs will be. So, to my questions.
1. I keep reading about digging in pavers but i'm a little confused. Are people talking about putting pavers over the entire space (quite expensive)? Or, placing the pavers only under the legs (i.e. if paver is 1.5" thick then dig down a 1.5" area the size/shape of the paver to put the paver into)?
2. After removing the dirt to get the area as level as possible I was considering putting down decomposed granite in the area and in a path that will lead from the patio to the area. Is this a bad idea? Would decomposed granite be to rocky to go under this pool and ground cover tarp? Also, this leads back to the issues of not building up the area and only lowering to prevent settling over the season.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the quick reply! I spent the weekend doing the leveling. Back breaking, mind numbing work, but I think i'm done enough with the initial phase. Now i have to do the decomposed granite and put in the pavers. To confirm people are using the 4x8 brick shaped pavers? Not the 8x12 concrete stone pavers.

Also, has anyone tried to putting down the pavers prior to putting down the top leveling material instead of leveling and then digging out the space to drop the pavers into? If so how did it turn out? Is this not recommended?

Mine's set on the 4"x8" pavers and hasn't moved. It's a permanent pool but I don't know that, that would have anything to do with it.

Setting the pavers and then putting the granite in shouldn't be a problem as long as everything is well compacted and level once you're done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.