Newbie needs assistance with "chemical" balance of new pool

Add the bleach at the return water into the pool with pump running. By the time you put the bottle away, you can swim.

The OTO in the K1000 is at best an approximation. The FAS-DPD is definitive. If you want to use the OTO on occasion to determine if things are OK, then 'train' your self on what shade of yellow equals what FC based on the FAS-DPD result, not the scale on the color comparator block.

Reactions: tech_east
@mknauss or @Richard320

Help!!! As my latest post says I added bleach on Wed 6/24 (1 cup as to not do too much figured I could always add more) in order to bring the FC up from 4 ppm to maybe 5 or 6. Well I have not checked on the pool since adding but finally decided to run some tests today and things are WAY off and I am not sure why. I did the basic Chlorine test first like always and it was barely showing any chlorine at all (can hardly pick up the yellow at all K-1000 test I believe). I thought that was odd so I proceeded with the FC test and sure enough when I added the powder it was barely even pink. So I added one drop of solution and it went back clear which means I have hardly any chlorine in the pool. What the heck is going on? I did a CYA test and it dropped from 60 to 50 for some reason as well.

Why is my Chlorine level dropping (i.e. the sun, people swimming since Wed, rain water)? I even added the bleach on Wed 6/24 because I had 4ppm...how do you go from 4ppm to basically zero? Is my SWG not working...I have my pool pump running 10 hrs a day and the SWG runs 8 hours a day every single day.

Obviously I know I need to add more Chlorine but I am not sure where to start...I don't want to go overboard. I will pull up my pool math app and basically put my Chlorine level at zero or 0.5 and my CYA at 50 and see what I come up with for adding bleach to at least get me up to 4 or 5 ppm. Any help would be greatly appreciated with trying to understand what the heck is going on...it has not done this before since putting in the ABGP. All chemical levels have been stable.

Please help if you have the availability...sorry I am freaking out just a bit.

Thanks!

You have to test your FC and add chlorine to the pool EVERY DAY. The chlorine is a consumable item. It is consumed by the sun and organics.

Do as you say, add chlorine today and see how things go.

But remember -- chlorine is added EVERY DAY to the pool.

You have to test your FC and add chlorine to the pool EVERY DAY. The chlorine is a consumable item. It is consumed by the sun and organics.

Do as you say, add chlorine today and see how things go.

But remember -- chlorine is added EVERY DAY to the pool.

Sorry as I am newb...but I was under the impression that at least with salt water you could somewhat set it and forget it a lil more than a chlorine pool because the SWG is constantly running turning the salt to chlorine? Please educate me?

I just ran the numbers on the pool app and basically it is saying I need to add about 34 ounces or little over 4 cups to bring chlorine from 0.5 to 4. Does that sound right? And after adding the bleach can we or should we swim or wait for it to circulate? When should I test again after adding the bleach...an hour, 2 hours, 3 hours etc?

Thanks @mknauss so much for the assistance on a sunday especially...big props to professional people like yourself to help newbies!

Salt water? Can you fill out your signature? What SWCG do you have? How much are you running it?

Add the chlorine and let mix for 15-30 minutes and go swimming.

I updated my sig as you request but here are the details as well: Intex 18x48 Metal Frame Pool Set (6,423 gallons at 90%), Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - 16 inch 3000 GPH with glass media, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O.

I run my sand filter pump (which I used glass media instead of sand) for 10 hours a day and I run my SWG for 8 hours a day. When should I test Chlorine levels again...I am assuming it prob takes the amount of time to fully circulate the pool water so at least 2-3 hours? Thanks!

OK -- thank you. You are creating 3.9 ppm FC per day in your pool volume with your SWCG. That should be enough, but you need to test every day for awhile to see if it is. If the FC drops, you need to run the pump and SWCG longer each day.

This afternoon, re-check FC and be sure to raise it to target range for your CYA. What is your current CYA? It should be at least 60 ppm.

OK -- thank you. You are creating 3.9 ppm FC per day in your pool volume with your SWCG. That should be enough, but you need to test every day for awhile to see if it is. If the FC drops, you need to run the pump and SWCG longer each day.

This afternoon, re-check FC and be sure to raise it to target range for your CYA. What is your current CYA? It should be at least 60 ppm.

Thx for the info on how much FC I am creating in my pool volume! I re-check both FC and CYA and numbers are low which I knew they prob would be....

My CYA is 40-45 and my FC is at 2 ppm. Tomorrow will be another sock day. It's weird and I don't understand how I can lose CYA over a few weeks. I was at 60 ppm about 2-3 weeks ago and now suddenly it drops all the way down to 40 or 45. I have had some evaporation or splash out of water due to kids swimming and have had to add a few inches of water a couple of times so maybe that could cause it drop? Any ideas?

I picked up some addt'l CYA today at lowes and I have bleach on hand to start bringing my levels up tomorrow. Guess we will go from there once numbers have "stabilized" before determining whether I need to run the SWCG longer.

Evaporation does not remove CYA from your pool. Splash out, backwashing, and overflow from rain does remove CYA from your pool.

Go easy with your CYA dilemma. Better to be on the slightly low side then overshooting it. You're obviously not reading the CYA test correctly and while you're not alone just heed the warning as you may have enough now. I would recommend you do an OCLT tonight with the SWCG off to be sure algae isn't working in the background. You did have low levels of FC at some point so there's always that chance especially if you state the SWCG isn't maintaining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go easy with your CYA dilemma. Better to be on the slightly low side then overshooting it. You're obviously not reading the CYA test correctly and while you're not alone just heed the warning as you may have enough now. I would recommend you do an OCLT tonight with the SWCG off to be sure algae isn't working in the background. You did have low levels of FC at some point so there's always that chance especially if you state the SWCG isn't maintaining.
I understand what your saying about going easy with the cya but I'm fairly confident I am reading the test properly. I read up on how to perform an oclt and it says your FC needs to be at least 3ppm...mine is currently at 2ppm. My pump and swg is already done cycling for the day...since it comes on at 0730.

Should I just wait until tomorrow night to do the oclt since my FC is at 2ppm (was planning on adding bleach to bring up chlorine level).

Or should I go ahead and do it tonight...getting close to sun being down so was just curious 😀

If you add chlorine now to get to at least 10% of CYA (5 ppm FC) and let the pump run for 30 minutes before you do the FC test that will work. Pump on all night. Test the FC in the morning before the sun rises.

If you add chlorine now to get to at least 10% of CYA (5 ppm FC) and let the pump run for 30 minutes before you do the FC test that will work. Pump on all night. Test the FC in the morning before the sun rises.

Thx mknauss...I added about 3.5 cups of bleach to hopefully bring FC up from 2ppm to 5ppm as you suggested. I have the pump on now circulating the bleach and plan on going out in about 30-45 mins to do my first FC test for tonight.

Just so I am clear, I do my first FC test tonight, let the pump run all night and do another FC tomorrow morning before the sun comes up?

I just looked and sunrise is 0540...my normal wake up time is 0645...looks like it's going to be an early morning..yikes!

Correct. If the sun does not shine on your pool surface until later, you can wait until later. Just test FC before the sun hits the pool surface.

As stated above I added 3.5 cups of bleach last night and let the pump circulate for around an hour before performing my first FC test which was 4 ppm and CC 0.5.

Let the pump run all night and came out first thing this am (0520 yawn) and performed 2nd FC test which was 3.5 ppm and CC still at 0.5.

Water is clear and numbers indicate that there was not a significant drop (1.0 ppm) overnight so should be free of algae. Guessing environmental factors are contributing to my FC loss (swimming, sun, maybe should run SWG longer etc).

So today I am going to test CYA one more time and if its 50 I am going to add enough to get to 60. I will also add more bleach to get me to at least 5 ppm FC.

Am I missing anything? Also one other quick ?, for adding the CYA via sock method is it hanging it in front of the return that moves the water from the pool into the pump or hanging it in front of the return that takes the water from the pump / SWG back into the pool? I am confused by that.....

Thanks to everyone for the assistance...total newb but doing the best I can 😁

Hang sock in front of the return of the water into the pool. The water from the pool to the pump is the suction.

Sounds like a good plan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.