Newbie Needing Help-Swamp to clear?

May 13, 2020
NC
Hey- brand new at pool-ing. Just took over a pool that sat for 2 years. When I took cover off very dark green. I started on May 4 and have shocked the pool three times, added algaecide day one as well. Since then I’ve also added stabilizer, chlorine tablets, phosphate, and although it’s lighter now...I still feel like I could use some help. Going to the pool store twice a week and feel like I’m not seeing the progress with their help. 20,000 sand filter if that helps. In eastern NC. Tips? Tricks?

Attachments

• E9AB9418-2DB4-4EBA-933A-A3D6198554EB.jpeg
    E9AB9418-2DB4-4EBA-933A-A3D6198554EB.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Wow
Reactions: Shirker
Welcome! :wave: A pool with algae requires the SLAM Process. To perform a SLAM you need either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's very important. If you don't have one, that needs to be step #1. Also see: Test Kits Compared

Don't add anything else to the water except liquid pool chlorine or regular bleach. About one gallon per day until you get the right test kit. Then post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to coach you from there.

Also review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and read/save those Vital Links below in my signature. Update your sig as well. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Depending on chlorine availability in your area, we typically advise you to look for Walmart's Pool Essentials (10%) in the outdoor section or the regular/plain Great Value laundry bleach (6%). You can also try Home Depot for their liquid chlorine (10%) that comes in a 3-pack box. We avoid the Clorox brand bleach specifically because they have added polymers for fabric conditioner that seems to mess with pool water chemistry. Have a good day. :swim:

Reactions: Jessandallhermess
Depending on chlorine availability in your area, we typically advise you to look for Walmart's Pool Essentials (10%) in the outdoor section or the regular/plain Great Value laundry bleach (6%). You can also try Home Depot for their liquid chlorine (10%) that comes in a 3-pack box. We avoid the Clorox brand bleach specifically because they have added polymers for fabric conditioner that seems to mess with pool water chemistry. Have a good day. :swim:
I would have went straight to Clorox so thank you for the heads up.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Netting out the organic debris is the first thing to do. Leaves and guck seem to congregate in the deep end (if you have one)... so start there and just blindly dredge with your net. Keep doing that until you can't get any more guck up. Move around the pool doing this. It may take a day or two, but the SLAM will go quicker if you can get most of the organic matter out.

I'm dealing with a messy pool too, so we can dredge around together, virtually. My thread is The Great Cleanup.

Have fun!

Belated welcome. I must have been busy the other day and missed this. You will have a lovely pool once it’s clear and there are tons of folks here to guide you on that journey.

awesome job picking a user name. I spit out my morning coffee which I don’t appreciate, but at the same time I TOTALLY appreciate, so bravo !

Lorri pretty-much said it all. It's a hnd & seek kind of thing for you in the dark water. Just keep at it and do the best you can. Your pool is quite large, so if it's still that dark, you can add one gallon in the morning and one in the evening while waiting for the kit. Happy hunting. :)

Netting out the organic debris is the first thing to do. Leaves and guck seem to congregate in the deep end (if you have one)... so start there and just blindly dredge with your net. Keep doing that until you can't get any more guck up. Move around the pool doing this. It may take a day or two, but the SLAM will go quicker if you can get most of the organic matter out.

I'm dealing with a messy pool too, so we can dredge around together, virtually. My thread is The Great Cleanup.

Have fun!
Thank you! I will try that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just learned it too. It seemed crazy at first but the big laminated sheet that it came with was as simple as could be. ‘Add 2 drops of this and swirl, Now add 5 drops of that’. My 11 year old daughter was mesmerized being that she is a science loving kid and I’m going to put her in charge of it. It’s no harder than counting drops.

I just opened to my own swamp. I drained a bunch to speed up the process but it still was pretty bad and not making progress until I was able to refill enough to vac out the crud. The crud was eating my chlorine faster than I could dump it in. Once I got the floor and walls clean, it took 12 hours to clear the water.

Reactions: Casey and wireform
I just learned it too. It seemed crazy at first but the big laminated sheet that it came with was as simple as could be. ‘Add 2 drops of this and swirl, Now add 5 drops of that’. My 11 year old daughter was mesmerized being that she is a science loving kid and I’m going to put her in charge of it. It’s no harder than counting drops.

I just opened to my own swamp. I drained a bunch to speed up the process but it still was pretty bad and not making progress until I was able to refill enough to vac out the crud. The crud was eating my chlorine faster than I could dump it in. Once I got the floor and walls clean, it took 12 hours to clear the water.
Wow that’s awesome after 12 hours!! And that kit is just so overwhelming lol. Do this, then multiply..?? I’m trying it tomorrow and will hopefully be able to get it correctly!

Wow that’s awesome after 12 hours
Draining helped a ton in the long, but in the short term i lost the ability to vac for 4 hours draining and 4 hours replacing. The water was more than half new, but didnt look all that much better. Once i got the ability to vac out the crud back, it really changed the momentum over an hour. If you think about it, the stuff suspended in the water adds up, but not like the thick slime on the walls and floor. The chlorine can eat the outer layer and the rest is still there. Once that was gone the water was blue/cloudy and on its way in no time.
And that kit is just so overwhelming lol. Do this, then multiply..?? I’m trying it tomorrow and will hopefully be able to get it correctly!
Take the big laminated card and do one test at a time. Its literally counting drops, but try to keep the bottle upside down and not sideways. Its messes up the size of the drops. Halfway through the card you'll be laughing at how easy it is. I used the CYA squirter bottle (red cap) to fill the test tubes. It was much easier to add a few drops when close than to pour out a few drops when over the line.

This is my first year doing pool things. I made a post earlier and you all recommended taking out all granules and only using bleach. I have been doing that for a little over a week until my Taylor K2006C kit came yesterday. Pool went from a swamp to blue and cloudy with the bleach recommendations. Now looking to get 'er clean and clear with your help. I have attached pics of current pool coloring. (Its been in the 60's and rain for 4 days until today- if that helps). Here are my test results:
20,000 Inground Pool, Sand Flter, Well Water, Vinyl liner
Free Chlorine: 5.5ppm (EDITED TO SHOW 10ML SAMPLE)
Combined Chlorine: 0.5 ppm (EDITED TO SHOW 10ML SAMPLE)
PH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 100ppm
Calcium Hardness: 140 ppm
CYA: 30ppm

Can you all tell me what I need to put in my pool to get it to SLAM/clear up based on above results?

Attachments

• po.jpg
    po.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 37
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Draining helped a ton in the long, but in the short term i lost the ability to vac for 4 hours draining and 4 hours replacing. The water was more than half new, but didnt look all that much better. Once i got the ability to vac out the crud back, it really changed the momentum over an hour. If you think about it, the stuff suspended in the water adds up, but not like the thick slime on the walls and floor. The chlorine can eat the outer layer and the rest is still there. Once that was gone the water was blue/cloudy and on its way in no time.

Take the big laminated card and do one test at a time. Its literally counting drops, but try to keep the bottle upside down and not sideways. Its messes up the size of the drops. Halfway through the card you'll be laughing at how easy it is. I used the CYA squirter bottle (red cap) to fill the test tubes. It was much easier to add a few drops when close than to pour out a few drops when over the line.
Well I did it...you're right it was pretty simple. The only thing I struggled with was the colors..like when it said keep adding drops until it turns from blue to red... so like are we talking cherry apple red or ripe watermelon red. LOL I ended up doing each test twice to make sure I was doing it right. I posted my results on a different thread so hopefully I wasnt overthinking it and completely failed haha.

• Haha
Reactions: J22inpa and Newdude
Follow the SLAM Process. Raise your FC to 12 ppm and maintain.

When you test your FC, use a 10 ml water sample. One scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

Belated welcome. I must have been busy the other day and missed this. You will have a lovely pool once it’s clear and there are tons of folks here to guide you on that journey.

awesome job picking a user name. I spit out my morning coffee which I don’t appreciate, but at the same time I TOTALLY appreciate, so bravo !
HAHA! Thank you! I don't know how I missed your comment! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.