Newbie having trouble draining the pool

Chrystyne731

Sep 28, 2019
Chadds Ford, PA
Good morning!

My ex husband used to take care of the pool closing. My son and I have closed the pool for the last two years, but he accidentally put the filter on backwash to drain the pool to winterize it. The water level is just under the slimmer lines so I’m not sure what to do. I tried putting it on drain and a little water came out, but then I heard a gurgling noise and the water stopped coming out. Please help! I’m not in the financial position to have a professional come in. Thank you in advance for your help.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You posted this question this morning, so I'm not sure if you're still struggling. It's common of course to lower the water level in preparation for closing, but we may need to know more about your pool and equipment. (Make sure to update your signature).

If your son lowered as much as it could go but has stopped at the skimmer, your drain may either be closed, plugged, or a valve not adjusted properly to allow water flow so that you can drain only from the drain. A pic of your equipment pad may help.

From there, many typically blow-out the lines and plug them among other tasks. You may wish to look at our Closing an In Ground Pool - Trouble Free Pool page for some more details. Let us know if you're still stuck and how we can help.