dl41

Feb 28, 2022
Sonoma, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone, I am a complete noob to pool ownership. I am so glad I found this site. This is a very helpful site and community.

Our project started a month ago. We are excited about the progress. It is a 46' x 20' pool with a 7' x 7' spa. Here are some progress photos.

We are selecting heating equipment at the moment. We want to be environmentally conscious and use less NG. Temp drop below 50F at night in the summer here. I hear that heat pumps don't really work below 50F. Does anyone have experience with Artic Heat Pumps? Pool Heat Pumps - Heat Pumps for Pools & Spas | Arctic Heat Pumps

Thanks,
dl41

Attachments

• IMG_7892.jpg
    IMG_7892.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7918.jpg
    IMG_7918.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7923.jpeg
    IMG_7923.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 23
I think I see a rectangular pool with level integrated spa. If that's what you're building, the best thing to add is an auto-cover. I hope that's in your plans.

Hey DL and Welcome !!!

We want to be environmentally conscious and use less NG.
My HP burned through some serious coal at the power co. Just sayin. 😁

I hear that heat pumps don't really work below 50F
HP's lose alot of efficiency at 70. They lose the ability to work around 60. (Give or take). But you should be able to work around the cool nights by heating during the day. The HP excells at heating an already warm pool. Your cover will stop evaporation where 70% of your heat loss comes from, so you'll only have to make up a few degrees the next day.

Hey DL and Welcome !!!

My HP burned through some serious coal at the power co. Just sayin. 😁
Thanks @Newdude. I hear you about the power company burning dinosaur remains. Fortunately for us, we have solar panels that generate enough power that we sell back to the grid for about 5 hours a day.

HP's lose alot of efficiency at 70. They lose the ability to work around 60. (Give or take). But you should be able to work around the cool nights by heating during the day. The HP excells at heating an already warm pool. Your cover will stop evaporation where 70% of your heat loss comes from, so you'll only have to make up a few degrees the next day.

That's a good tip about heating during the day. If I went with a HP, then I would probably heat the pool during times when I am generating excess power from the solar panels.

Fortunately for us, we have solar panels
Totally changes the equation (y)

. If I went with a HP, then I would probably heat the pool during times when I am generating excess power from the solar panels.
Yup. Just like that. Besides working in the first place, (which it may not under 60) it will be far more efficient during the warm parts of the day, alot like the solar panels. The cover will help reduce the overnight heat loss and you won't have as much ground to make up the next day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.