Newbie from North Texas!

lgibson888

Apr 4, 2020
Texas
:):):) Hi! I am so glad I found this site!! I probably spent 4 hours skimming through the threads yesterday. We are in the VERY beginning process of researching pools.
We have our first meeting tomorrow with a builder. I've been trying to write down lots of questions to ask from this forum, but my mind is turning to mush!

Is there a quick guide somewhere that I haven't found? I want to ask the right questions, and not leave out anything important. We are not in the Dallas metroplex, so our options for builders aren't great. My first meeting is with the most well known company in the area. They have been in business for over 60yrs and have installed a friends pool 2 years ago. I figure talking with him first will give me a good starting point before I contact the 4 or so other builders in the area.

We are looking at ~16*35' pool. We really like the rectangle with clean lines. Nothing to fancy. Would like one or two tanning ledges, just depends on price.
My friends installed a sport pool two years ago and absolutely love it (3.5'x 5.5'x 4'). I'm still conflicted if I want a sport pool or traditional deep end. But even if we went with traditional, it would not be a diving pool. Kids are 9 and 11, and they really want the deep end, but how much would it really get used???

Thanks for this great wealth of information! Please give me all your tips for talking with the builder!
I think the equipment/plumbing questions are the ones I am clueless on. I don't want to be sold junk! And am willing to pay for the upgrades if it is truly better!

:):)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: New pool = lots of questions. The link below may help a bit:

The more details you can get about the build the better. Things like:
- How will you chlorinate? Stay away from ozone/UV for an outdoor pool. Either manual adding of chlorine or salt water generator
- Pump type, make, size (i.e. 2-speed, variable, etc) HP?
- Filter type (sand, cartridge, DE) and size (bigger is usually better)
- Some builders push for a 2nd pump for a dedicated pressure/or suction cleaner; but robot cleaners are today's technology.

Once you get all your info together, post back in a new thread in the Under Construction sub-forum and we'll be happy to look things over for you.