Newbie from Greenville NC

Apr 27, 2017
Greenville, NC
Hey guys, I'm new to the club. Have had my pool for a few years now, but I would like to be able to open, maintain, and close it myself.

I guess my first question would be where do I start, lol? Should I buy a test kit? I have, up until this point, just been using strips. I have a SWG, as you know already since it's in my signature, does that change anything as far as reading and following most of the info in other threads? Also I have wondered since getting my pool, should my pool water taste like the ocean?

I'll leave it at that for now, I'm sure I will have many, many more questions. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave:
I guess my first question would be where do I start, lol?
The two best things you could do for yourself at the moment are:
1 - Order a TF-100 (link below) with magnetic stirrer or Taylor K-2006C. You won't be disappointed with a TF-100 and you must have those accurate results.
2 - Review the Pool School page and bookmark the pages you see linked below in my sig.

Stick with those basic principles and you can't go wrong. Nice to have you with us. Have a great weekend.

X,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners, even those tasting like the ocean.... :shark:

Having a saltwater pool makes maintenance easier, but that does not make it maintenance free. You still have to test your pool water on an ongoing basis so that you prevent problems.

So, yes, you absolutely need one of our recommended test kits. The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C..

Your pool should not taste like seawater.. Do you know the actual salt content in your pool water? I use the Taylor K-1766 Salt test kit to accurately measure my salt level.
The salt reading from the SWCG is often not too accurate.

People are all different, some can test very low levels of salt, while others cannot. In my case when my salt level is on the high side, if I lick my lips when I first get into the pool, I get a slightly salty taste, like tears.
But, after I have been in for five minutes, I no longer get that taste.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies yall. I think I'm leaning toward getting the TF-100. Seems to be the best bet for cost and the amount of tests you get. Do those ever go on sale at all? I was thinking of just buying them directly from TFTestkits.net.

I feel like the pool is super salty, I just asked my wife and she said she doesn't think it's that bad. The last test I did was back in June, which was the last one before I closed the pool. The salt strip read 5.4 (2110ppm), pH looked about 6.8 maybe a little more, free chlorine 10, cyan uric acid was between 0 and 30. That was low for my salt content, my pool guy said my readout on the SWG should say around 2800-3000.

Welcome to TFP!

I ordered the K-1766 to test my salt water last year. However, I was perfectly fine with the Aquachek salt test strips my PB gave me. Tests from both were almost identical. Test strips for salt are probably the only tests strips that TFP will recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk