Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2019
Northwest Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I read Pool School, the wiki, and several posts on winterizing, but have a couple clarifying questions:
  • CYA is very low. Should I bring it back up before closing, or wait for spring?
  • I have one skimmer and it has a hole for the main drain and a hole to the pump. Is a gizmo only meant to be used on the pump side, not the drain side?
  • In this video, the guys don't lower the water level below the return lines but use PVC pipes so they can access the line above the water level. I like the idea of not getting rid of as much water. Are there good reasons I should not do this?
Thanks!

• CYA is very low. Should I bring it back up before closing, or wait for spring?

In general no. You puting a cover on the pool? Solid or mesh?

Close with whatever CYA level you have and adjust your CYA when you open.

• I have one skimmer and it has a hole for the main drain and a hole to the pump. Is a gizmo only meant to be used on the pump side, not the drain side?

The Gizzmo is a plug with foam on top. Its purpose is to provide some volume for ice to expand into.

Use a plug on one hole and the Gizzmo on the other. Cut up some pool noodles and stuff them around the Gizzmo in the skimmer for more insurance.

• In this video, the guys don't lower the water level below the return lines but use PVC pipes so they can access the line above the water level. I like the idea of not getting rid of as much water. Are there good reasons I should not do this

That was discussed in another thread. The concern is that ice can form around the PVC and crack it which will let water in. It will work until it doesn't. It is not a shortcut that the pros recommend.

Thanks! And sorry for the late reply. Things have been crazy. Here's a follow-up and a new question:
  • I have a mesh safety cover. I don't imagine much light gets through it, but does that change anything in regards to CYA?
  • I can't figure out how to remove my return jet eyeballs (picture below). Do I need to remove the four screws? Bought the house in January and they were in there when we opened the pool.
GtjpQT5.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.