Newb ?'s

hudsondds

Gold Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Louisiana
I recently had a pool completed (sig). It had a leak for the first 6 months that they just fixed a couple of weeks ago. I was not using my SWCG (loosing salt due to the leak). I added salt after they fixed the leak. SWCG (T-15) said salt was 3200 after adding, Taylor K-1766 read around 7000 (I'm dumb and used 25ml instead of 10ml), so I took a sample to Leslies today and they said salt was at 2000 ppm.
Cell did not seem to be producing chlorine - I added some CalHypo yesterday and had SWCG on 30% all day today and when I tested it this afternoon FC was 1.5. SWCG was working fine before I found out there was a leak and started loosing salt. I had it set on 18% for 8 hours a day before and it was producing plenty of chlorine.
I added another bag of salt earlier today and just tested the salt w/ k-1766 and got 3000 ppm (literally just now realized I had been testing it wrong before going to Leslies). Omnilogic is telling me salt is at 3800.
Leslies said I need to clean the cell. Should I clean the cell (assuming yes since the salt reading is off). Any tips on how to do it (I've watched some youtube videos, so I'm basically a pro now), or any other advice about SWCG would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

K, gonna do that tonight. Need to up the chlorine a little first though. Pretty stormy out tonight, I'm assuming its ok if there is a little organic debris in the pool, not much but its really windy so there will be some. Pool is clear.
Thanks.

Hey Hudson !! Just wanted to give you your specific math to have that knowledge going forward. Losing 1 inch (and topping off) in your pool equates to 1.8% fill water.

10ft X 30ft X 0.83333ft x 7.48 gallons per cu ft.

186 gallons per inch.

1.8% of 10k gallon pool.

So for example if your salt was 3000 ppm and you lost an inch that would be a 56 ppm loss of salt.

Or if your CYA was 30 and you lost 2 inches, It would be 30 X .018 X 2. (An immeasurable 1.08 ppm of CYA).

:)

Got FC up to ~7.5-8 last night. Tested this morning and FC is 6.5.
If the water is clear I would assume you are good. Now use Poolmath to dial in your SWCG to generate 2ppm FC per day. See if that holds your target FC. Adjust generation level as necessary.

So I don’t need to worry about the reading having ~800 ppm difference? How often should I clean/inspect the cell (haven’t yet)?
Rarely do the K1766 test result and a SWCG salt readout match. Yours is a bit farther apart than usual but if the SWCG is happy, you are happy.
As far as 'cleaning' the SWCG. The only thing to remove is scale buildup that only occurs if your CH is very high and you let your TA and pH rise along with the CH. Your Poolmath logs do not show that condition.

Reactions: hudsondds
How often should I clean/inspect the cell (haven’t yet)?
Trial and error like everything else. For now check it monthly. Once a couple of those were fine, check every 2 months. If you haven’t had any issues after 2 seasons then just check it mid season every year just because.

You need a few seasons under your belt to just have a feel for it. You need a hot season, a cool one and a wet one. Then every season there after will fall somewhere in between and you’ll just have a feeling.

It’s the age old debate about experience. You can’t get it without doing. You can’t do it without the experience :ROFLMAO:

You have us in the meantime.

Reactions: hudsondds

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWCG is working now, so was likely just bc of low salt. I just have to figure out what % to keep it at now. I ordered a channel lock and am going to take it off this weekend just to check it out/clean if needed.
Can I trust the pool stores CYA reading or just test it again? I've gone thru a lot of the reagent testing it while I didn't know the pool was leaking - couldn't figure out why CYA kept dropping.
Thanks for y'alls help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.