Newb in St Louis

Dan Reilly

Aug 26, 2020
Missouri
Wife and I are buying a home, closing on Sep 25th. The home has a 20x40 inground, and the only thing we know about pools is they are filled with water. I'm hoping that joining here and learning all I can will calm my anxiety about pool ownership. 112650569_10158275784387295_2326286514165474813_o.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new purchase. We can help you with just about everything. Two things to start doing now though:
1 - Order a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit. See Test Kits Compared. Anything else is sub-standard.
2 - Review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Also read/save those Vital Links in my signature which includes the TF-100.

If you start now, you'll have a head start on things before closing. Once you move in you can update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as well. Great to have you wit us.

Nice place! What part of the The 'Lou are you in? I live out in St. Charles County.

It does look like the folks who own it now have taken decent care of the pool. Hopefully, you won't have any issues to deal with from the start.

Probably the most important thing that I have learned in my short time of ownership is that there are no short cuts. If you want a beautiful, healthy pool, you have to be willing to put a little bit of effort into it just about everyday. Sure, you can make some investments to automate certain aspects that are tedious, but in the end, you and your family's attention to the details is what will make or break your pool experience.

Last edited: